full on turbo sessions good or bad for training?

At the moment it is only practical to do turbo trainer sessions duration 40- 75 mins a couple of times a week. I have done an FTP, but each session I am trying to get up there to the ftp figure. I wonder how good this is for training?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depends what you're 'training' for? Variety is one of the keys to improvement and if all you are doing is riding at - or near - to FTP in every session then you are unlikely to improve much, if at all.
  • thanks imposter, I'm not really training for anything at the moment, but i had an annual trip to the alps/ pyrenees, so I wanted to train as if I was able to go, as it seems a good idea to keep it up even if I can't go this year. I'm 67 this year, and I hope to keep to a target of at least 70 . I've been using tacx films for sessions, so at least I can have an experience of the mountains even if it is diluted.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sessions at or near FTP would seem reasonable in prep for a trip to the alps, in the expectation of some long, sustained-effort climbs. Having said that, if you can get outdoors for some longer rides, that would be useful as well..