Rear cassette help

Hi folks,
Looking for some advice on compatibility of Shimano rear cassettes. I have a 2013 giant defy 1 with a mixture of 105 / tiagra etc. I purchased a wheelset from a friend and I am going to use the old giant wheels on a turbo trainer. Question, what cassette can I fit to my new wheelset to save removing the one on the giant wheelset. At the min it is a tiagra 12 - 28 and I would like to fit the same ratio or an 11 - 28. Looking on Ebay or some shops they have Shimano105 5700 11 - 28 or ultegra 6700 11 - 28. Can someone advise if they are a like for like fitment wise as the tiagra 12 - 28.
Any help appreciated..

Cheers

Comments

• jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    yep, 100% compatible if all 10 speed
  • v_adams1
    v_adams1 Posts: 14
    Hi, thank you for confirming the fitment. I will go look for an 11 - 27 105/ultegra cassette now. Another question, the difference between the original 12-28 cassette and an 11-28 cassette, will that need a link taken out the chain or is the difference of 1 tooth minimal that it will be ok as it is at present.
    Apologises for the questions...

Cheers
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,345
    Don't take a link out for that change .
  • v_adams1
    Thanks for that. Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to get back into cycling so I will probably be posting more questions going forward.

Cheers
  • v_adams1
    Evening folks, another question.
    As I am looking to replace the tiagra 12-28 the only options I really have are shimano 105 / ultegra
    12-27 or 11-28, is there a preference amongst folk as to which is better. Would I use the 11t cog?
    I live in north east Scotland and there are plenty hills so the 28t is fine. Would I notice a big difference with the 27t cog. My crank is a 50/34. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Doubt you will notice any difference at all with either one.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,396
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • v_adams1
    Hi, should have said that it is a 10 speed cassette..
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,218
    edited August 2020
    You can still buy 10 speed 12-28T, used to be CS-4600 Tiagra, is now CS-HG500-10. If you are fitting it to a 11sp freehub you will need a 1.85mm spacer behind the cassette. If you can afford it I would get a CS-6700 12-30T cassette will give you a slightly lower bottom gear of 29.9 inches.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,396
    'Inches'?! Well, that is old skool.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

'Inches'?! Well, that is old skool.

It's brexit y'know :D
  • v_adams1
    Hi folks, think I'm going with the ultegra 11-28 10 speed cassette, there is a 12-27 but I think the 28 will be easier on the hills where I am.
    I bought a set of Cero AR30 Evo wheels, are they any good ?. They have only done a couple of hundred miles and I got them for a good price.
    Also looking for recommendations for a decent saddle. The Giant defy standard saddle isn't the best and as I'm no youth I'd like something better..

Cheers
  • chriscc
    chriscc Posts: 4
    With all this talk about 11-28 and 12-27 cassettes, maybe someone could help me. I have a Dura Ace 10 speed rear changer, I've been running a 11-25, but I need something just a little bit bigger such as a 12-27. However the changer can only take up to a 27, would it work with a 28, Shimano don't seem to do a 27 now, except for a Dura Ace at quite a cost. If the 28 wouldn't work, would I notice if I changed to a Sram cassette, as they do a 12-27
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,218
    A 12-28T should work with your RD. You will need to srcew the B-tension screw in, to increase the clearance between the 28T sprocket and the top guide pulley. You may or may not need a longer chain, depending on if you cross chain big-big. I doubt you would notice any difference in shifting between a Shimano and SRAM cassette.