4 Bike Towbar Carrier

I am looking to replace my Thule 926/927 4 bike carrier. Although a good carrier, now we have got 3 full suspension (1 large, 2 medium size) and 1 hardtail (medium), the bikes won't fit on. The two problems being:

1. The distance between the bike slots are not wide enough so you can damage the bikes in transit
2. The securing arms are a nightmare to try and position and you are at the mercy of the frame shapes

I have been looking at the BuzzRack Eazzy 4 which has 2 central posts as opposed to using the securing arms which seems a better way to secure them.

Has anyone got/use the Eazzy? If so how have you got on with it?

If not can anyone recommend any alternatives which don't use the securing arms (I know the Atera have good reviews but they use the securing arms).

Regards

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

1. The distance between the bike slots are not wide enough so you can damage the bikes in transit

I can't answer your other questions but just a comment on point #1.

I've recently taken up mtbing and wondered how ell my Atera Strada DL (3 bike) which I've been using with my road bikes. I wondered how well it would take my Bossnut.
    I could get it on but the wheel cups were at the very end of their sideways adjustment and I felt uncomfortable about that. Then I read on the Singletrack forum about turning the bars round 180 degrees. I tried that. Perfect, the cups are in about the same position as my road bikes.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Hi

Did you go for an Eaazy4 and what do you think of it?

I need to change to a 4 bike rack too and have considered the BuzzRack Eazzy 4, Atera Strada DL or the Thule Velocompact 927 but can't make my mind up. Will be carrying 2 Adult and 2 Kids MTB.

• wobbleovski
    wobbleovski Posts: 2
    edited August 2020
    Went for the Buzzrack in the end and it will carries the 4 bikes we have :-D, I have to put the two smallest bikes in the middle as the distance is 180mm compared to the 200mm when either side of the posts otherwise the forks rub on the chainstay, so, if you have four larger bikes, the likelihood is that they will either touch (forks on frames) or possibly won't fit. You don't have to alter the handlebars so you can just take the bikes off and away you go. The mechanism for securing the bikes to the posts is unbelievably easy compared to the Thule making it really quick to get the bikes on and off. It folds neatly to store and it is easier to manhandle than the Thule thus saving your back a bit.

Based on these points I can't fault it, only suggest a couple improvements.

The Thule had a foot pedal to rock the bikes back so you can open the boot which was really handy. The Eazzy 4 does rock back (we have a Kia Sportage) and I can access the boot but you have to undo a knob by the towbar so not as convenient. The other is the towbar attachment. The Thule has the one mechanism, the Eazzy 4 has two parts to securing the rack to the bar. Again it is simple and easy to do and feels solid but not as simple as the Thule.

To summarise it is great. It cost me £285 compared to £400-500ish for the Thule and you can carry the four bikes we have. So much quicker to get the bikes on and off as well. If they can increase the distance in the middle to 200mm , add the foot pedal and simplify the towbar attachment mechanism it would be unbeatable for the money.