First 100 miler training

Hope to get in my first century ride soon (will be doing loops close to home given current situation).
Cycled on and off for years, have done c2c and been doing 50+ miles a week regularly for a few months now with 30 - 40 mile long rides. Would I be ok upping my long rides to 50, 60, 70 over the next few weeks and attempting a century at week 4?

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It's an odd time to consider a 100 mile bike ride, given the need to socially distance and the lockdown. Unless your doing something along the lines of 10x10 miles near your house of course. You have to consider eating and drinking, as well as possible support needs if you have a mechanical.

Normally your plan would be a good one. Building up to 100 over 4 weeks from a good base fitness is doable.
  • cryoman1965
    cryoman1965 Posts: 183
    Sounds like a good plan to me Mark. I completed my first century ride 3 weeks ago extending rides up to 70 miles with no issue. Then went straight to 100 miles taking advantage of the quite roads. I planned a route with a shop halfway for food and water although it was a bit close with water towards the end. On a hot day I would have really struggled, doing loops from your house would obviously solve the food and water supply.
    Good luck and enjoy.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Once you get to doing 70-80 on a regular basis a century ride as a one-off will be do-able.

Otherwise miles and hours in the saddle.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    Old adage is that if you can do 100 miles in a week then you can do 100 miles in a single ride.

As above though, just build up your long ride by 10 miles each time.

There's no great secret to it. Just be prepared to keep going until it's done and suffer a bit if necessary!