Training - going round in circles on the flat?

I moved to the middle east last summer and have struggled ever since to maintain my fitness. Initially the overall change in routine, environment and work caused disruption which snowballed into lack of motivation and loss of fitness.

I have a smart turbo with me but I know that I struggle to use a turbo to GET fit but am better at using it to maintain fitness however generally turbos are difficult for me.

In the last few weeks I have found a level of motivation and enthusiasm which is helping and I am getting back on the bike. The local roads are awful with poor quality and untrustworthy drivers.

I have unlimited access to a cycle track. It is a 10km long "oval" (two straights connected by long curves at either end. Totally flat. Where I am is totally flat.

I have about 2 - 2.5 months left before the heat makes daytime cycling unbearable/dangerous. So how to I capitalise the track?

Do I just go there as often as possible and try to maintain a steady average (currently about 26km/h for the first 2 laps) or do I try something fancier by breaking each lap down into shorter segments and cycling at a mixture of paces?

Any thoughts and ideas would be most welcome.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    This sounds like the perfect place to do outside Trainerroad workouts.

It would probably be best if you did some sessions of intervals and some of a more steady state.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get Zwift. I think I'd prefer that to riding in circles.
  • roastie_cyclocross
    roastie_cyclocross Posts: 41
    edited March 2020
    Do you have a power meter on your bike and a cycle computer to read the live data?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I have a TR account, HRM, cadence sensor, Wahoo but no power meter.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Personally, I'd avoid that track. If it was shorter then at least there would be more variant but 10km is likely to offer no more than riding a set of rollers, cause boredom and won't help your motivation. Even if you tried a structured workout with a pm I think you may struggle to stay enthused.

I would try the trainer option again. There is no reason you can't get fit on a smart trainer. None whatsoever.
    What turbo do you have? If you're in a position to, look in to getting a high end trainer, then try every training app you can.

You might find something competitive like zwift works for you, you may find (like me) riding new routes (video footage, not 3d/virtual) is the answer, basically there will be one for you.

Whilst all smart turbos can use these online apps, the best experience definitely comes from the high end turbos.

• navrig2
    redvision said:
    Delivery to the Middle East is not likely to be easy if available.

Come May and until September, maybe even October,I will spend the vast majority of my time in air conditioned areas so I am keen to stay outside as much as possible.

Drivers are very inconsiderate with no real understanding of giving cyclists space.

Hence the track is the best option. At least on the track I can move around on the saddle a bit more compared to the turbo.
  • navrig2
    Zwift is not readily available as I use a Chromebook which will not allow the installation of the Zwift app (yet) without invoking Developer mode which I am not keen to do.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,273
    You got an android phone? Proper Zwift can be installed on some of those now.
  • redvision
    edited March 2020
    navrig2 said:

redvision said:
    Delivery to the Middle East is not likely to be easy if available.

Come May and until September, maybe even October,I will spend the vast majority of my time in air conditioned areas so I am keen to stay outside as much as possible.

Drivers are very inconsiderate with no real understanding of giving cyclists space.

Hence the track is the best option. At least on the track I can move around on the saddle a bit more compared to the turbo.
    Wahoo have worldwide delivery available, so don't be put off by that.

Plus don't underestimate how big a difference a top end trainer makes to indoor training. Yes you are still indoor but the feel of the simulators (zwift, bkool etc) is far more realistic and enjoyable.

If you can afford it I would definitely consider investing in a new turbo.
    Then, even if you don't have the means to access zwift, if you have a laptop you have a range of alternative programs available (bkool, fulgaz etc) all of which offer trial periods, so you don't have to subscribe long term before you find one which you like.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Do they have any races on the track? Could make it more fun if they do.

If it's your only riding then I can see it getting boring quite quickly so suggest a smart trainer/zwift etc. as well, or finding other places you can go with your bike every now and then.
  • navrig2
    I can afford a new turbo financially but my track record with using them is hit and miss. I used my Vortex well after buying it but a summer off it and the habit/routine was broken. I'll keep trying.

The track is only about 3m wide and at a couple of locations has some blown sand and at one location has compacted horse or camel $hit. So racing is not really possible. It's possible to ride an organised peleton and at least one LBS does this a couple of times a week,

I think what I will do is commit to using it 4 times a week and split the track into sections using each section differently with different cadence/power, fartlek style.
  • navrig2
    Of course if we go to lock down all of this discussion is immaterial.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Order a turbo now...
  • redvision
    navrig2 said:

I can afford a new turbo financially but my track record with using them is hit and miss. I used my Vortex well after buying it but a summer off it and the habit/routine was broken. I'll keep trying.

Get a new trainer. Top end or middle range, both tiers offer a significant difference in ride feel to your vortex and really will make it easier to stay committed.

Plus if you sign up to a training app things like group rides will also help keep you interested.
  • navrig2
    I opted for the going round in circles for now. The temperature is steadily rising and I reckon in two weeks I'll have to be on the turbo.

Still regularly doing 30km at 26-29km/hr average has helped prepare for Trainer Road and as it's flat I barely leave the saddle meaning my gooch should cope with the turbo better.

Just go to get Zwift on my Chromebook to get group rides.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,273
    I don't think zwift runs on Chrome, sorry.
  • navrig2

I don't think zwift runs on Chrome, sorry.

It doesn't. The app has some sort of signature built in to the coding which even stops sideloading in Developer Mode. I have tried all avenues to get it to install just to see if it works but no joy.