Brooks B17 Aged Saddle Advice Needed

RedClip
RedClip Posts: 110
edited April 2020 in Road buying advice
Below is a photo of a new B17 Aged saddle.

And this is mine after around 4000 miles.

As you can see, the area around the Brooks logo has bulged out, compared to the straight vertical edges of the new one.
Does that mean I need to tighten the lock nut at the front of the saddle to reduce any sag or tighten the laces (which do seem tight already), or do both?
Or do you think it needs a factory refurb?

Thank you.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I’d try tightening tension nut at the front and slackening off the laces a bit. The laces are supposed to stop excess flare of side flaps as saddle gets older and more flexible. But they shouldn’t be too tight. I suspect the aged saddle‘s leather is softer than a standard B17 and that’s why it’s laced.
  • RedClip
    edited April 2020

I’d try tightening tension nut at the front and slackening off the laces a bit. The laces are supposed to stop excess flare of side flaps as saddle gets older and more flexible. But they shouldn’t be too tight. I suspect the aged saddle‘s leather is softer than a standard B17 and that’s why it’s laced.

Thank you, I'll give that try.

Edit:
    I've slackened off the laces.
    And also tightened the nut (by 5 complete turns), but I don't see or feel any difference in the seat's tension.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    why not contact Brooks?
  • RedClip

why not contact Brooks?

Thank you.
    I already have done, but they're closed due to the virus.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    edited May 2020
    The picture appears to show that your weight has squashed the saddle down hammock-style and the tight laces have kept the bottom of the flaps together, thus creating the bulge. As tightening the nut hasn’t done anything, I reckon you won’t be able to reverse the bulge effect. The leather has fixed itself in that shape. Maybe try it without laces. I have read about people moving the laces from the middle of the flap to nearer the nose to maintain shape and comfort.

I’ve got plenty of experience with traditional stiff leather Brooks saddles (the best by far on my touring bike) but not with pre-aged. I guess this is a disadvantage with using softer and more flexible leather on the pre-aged models. My B17 has not sunk down. It has formed two indentations to match my sit bones. If your saddle is still comfortable, the bulge is only a cosmetic issue. Sorry my suggestion didn’t help!

Brooks do have a decent reputation for customer service. Perhaps they’ll send you a replacement when they’re back at work.
  • RedClip

The picture appears to show that your weight has squashed the saddle down hammock-style and the tight laces have kept the bottom of the flaps together, thus creating the bulge. As tightening the nut hasn’t done anything, I reckon you won’t be able to reverse the bulge effect. The leather has fixed itself in that shape. Maybe try it without laces. I have read about people moving the laces from the middle of the flap to nearer the nose to maintain shape and comfort.

I’ve got plenty of experience with traditional stiff leather Brooks saddles (the best by far on my touring bike) but not with pre-aged. I guess this is a disadvantage with using softer and more flexible leather on the pre-aged models. My B17 has not sunk down. It has formed two indentations to match my sit bones. If your saddle is still comfortable, the bulge is only a cosmetic issue. Sorry my suggestion didn’t help!

Brooks do have a decent reputation for customer service. Perhaps they’ll send you a replacement when they’re back at work.

Many thanks for your help and advice.
    I don't find the saddle comfortable, just tolerable.
    You're always aware that you're sat on it, if that makes sense.
  • pete.lucas
    pete.lucas Posts: 2
    I have the same saddle as yours, and contrary to other comments, I actually find it harder than my other standard Brooks B17's (which is why it is on the shelf as it is not as comfortable as others in the fleet!).

However, I have two standard Brooks with the same bulge you identify - from my experience it is caused by plenty of use by one unique backside. The whole idea is that the leather forms your "shape" over time. I regularly tighten the bolts but it makes little difference to the shape.

The side logo does gradually disappear with use - imagine rubbing it with a cloth 40 or 50 times a minute on each side for a few hours to replicate a long ride.

Pete
  • RedClip

I have the same saddle as yours, and contrary to other comments, I actually find it harder than my other standard Brooks B17's (which is why it is on the shelf as it is not as comfortable as others in the fleet!).

However, I have two standard Brooks with the same bulge you identify - from my experience it is caused by plenty of use by one unique backside. The whole idea is that the leather forms your "shape" over time. I regularly tighten the bolts but it makes little difference to the shape.

The side logo does gradually disappear with use - imagine rubbing it with a cloth 40 or 50 times a minute on each side for a few hours to replicate a long ride.

Pete

Thank you very much for the feedback and help.