Wahoo KICKR Newbie... Bike Compatibility/Upgrade requirements-

Hi all,

Having recently looked into turbo trainer options, a chat with some friends has led me to being offered a near new Wahoo Kickr for a good price. Seems like a great opportunity to get a top end turbo for a mid tier price. My issues are as follows which I could do with a steer from people experienced on:

- I currently have a 2014 entry level Genesis Equilibrium (https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/genesis/equilibrium-00-2014), not particularly fancy but has done me well for years. It only has Sora installed whereas I understand the Kickr comes with 11speed as standard.
- Ideally I want to be able to share use of the turbo with my partner, she has a Tiagra (10speed set up)
- If I want to share with her I guess I need to upgrade my bike to a Tiagra set. Is that worth the cost? £3-400? Seems not
- If not, is there a way to set up the Kickr so we can use 9 speed and 10 speed bikes on the same turbo?
- Finally does anyone use a

Any other thoughts/recommendations on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Im a complete Turbo novice so trying to figure this out as I go along.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    If you just want to use Erg mode, you can just find a gear that's not too noisy and leave it there, the trainer will take care of the rest. However, I suspect you'll want to use sim mode at some point... The cheapest thing to do is to have 2 cassettes, one 9 speed and one 10 speed and swap them each time. Depending on how often you need to switch, that could become quite time consuming. Both bikes being on similar drivetrains would make it a lot easier, but is obviously a lot more expensive.