Help choosing a turbo trainer.

Hi I'm looking to buy my first smart turbo trainer. Been using a dumb one over the winter but it's too noisy to use in the house. So I was looking to purchase a direct drive trainer.

Max budget is £500. I have blue light card which gives 10% off at halfords/cycle Republic.

I have so far looked at
Elite zumo £380 after discount (DC rainmaker " approved")
Elite drivo £450 after discount
Elite Direto os 2 £500 after discount.
Elite Suito roughly £550 online

Also seen
tax Flux s £50O after discount.
Kinetic R1 £500 direct from Kurt kinetic

Then also had a look at kickr snap and new elite tuo. But worried about noise levels for indoor use.

Suppose what I'm looking for is any trainers I should avoid considering from the ones above.

Any help appreciated
Garry

Comments

• prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    I bought a Zumo just last Friday and bar an issue with the distance done its very good imo. I wanted to go from rollers to something better and with the discounts I got I can't complain.

Iv done a few rides on it in the shed and it's quiet enough to bring into the house and not disturb anyone.

Once I iron out the issue with the distance covered I'll be sorted but no complaints apart from that. The app is good and with a free year's subscription its great to start with. At only 20 a year after I'll be sticking with that and ignoring zwift etc.
  • prcody said:

I bought a Zumo just last Friday and bar an issue with the distance done its very good imo. I wanted to go from rollers to something better and with the discounts I got I can't complain.

Iv done a few rides on it in the shed and it's quiet enough to bring into the house and not disturb anyone.

Once I iron out the issue with the distance covered I'll be sorted but no complaints apart from that. The app is good and with a free year's subscription its great to start with. At only 20 a year after I'll be sticking with that and ignoring zwift etc.

Thanks mate for that. Thats good to here about the zumo especially being the cheapest of the ones I've looked at. What price did you get it for if you don't mind me asking ?
  • prcody
    Under 200 in Ireland but thats because I had a decent value voucher and the discount to use. Halfords taking the voucher made up my mind for me on it really.
  • prcody said:

Under 200 in Ireland but thats because I had a decent value voucher and the discount to use. Halfords taking the voucher made up my mind for me on it really.

Ah no worries. Thanks again.
  • How about the drivo.

Is it still a good buy if it's a few years old now. Can pick it up for £450 in Halfords possibly cheaper on eBay new.

Or would i be better opting for something recently released.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you can find a Drivo go for it over the rest of your list. Despite its age, its still up there with the top end trainers. The TACX Neo 1 is still as good as the latest generation of NEOs and more than the majority of users will ever need.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • If you can find a Drivo go for it over the rest of your list. Despite its age, its still up there with the top end trainers. The TACX Neo 1 is still as good as the latest generation of NEOs and more than the majority of users will ever need.

Ended up going for the zumo. Delighted with and got it for £370 in the end.
    2 year warranty and got a cassette flung in to. Halfords is 5 mins away from me so if I have any issues it's easy to return.
    Did about 30km on and pretty pleased with it. Seams smooth and quiet which was really what I was after.

Thanks to all for input.
  • prcody
    When you did the 30km on it did it upload to Stava as 30km? Mine seems to have me travelling at about 60km to cover the distance the app tells me I've covered. I do 30 on the app in real life its 15.
  • garryboy1888
    garryboy1888 Posts: 41
    edited January 2020
    prcody said:

When you did the 30km on it did it upload to Stava as 30km? Mine seems to have me travelling at about 60km to cover the distance the app tells me I've covered. I do 30 on the app in real life its 15.

I've only used the included myelite app via my laptop. So I haven't uploaded anything to Strava as I'm not sure how to.

How did you upload your route to Strava. I use a lezyne super gps for uploading outdoor rides.
  • prcody
    I use the app so I go to my history and hit the share icon and choose what platform I want to upload to. I must try it through the website as maybe my issue is through the app.
  • prcody said:

I use the app so I go to my history and hit the share icon and choose what platform I want to upload to. I must try it through the website as maybe my issue is through the app.

Smashing found it on the app. Thank you.