advice on race bike reach and stack please

holio cornolio
holio cornolio Posts: 6
edited October 2019 in Road beginners
Hi All, I'm currently riding a Condor Fratello which I find very comfortable. It's great for long rides but I am feeling a very strong N+1 itch at present, and fancy getting something a bit racier. My Condor has a reach of 375 and a stack of 368 (probably more like 380 with spacers). Because I have quite a weird physique, even with that relatively short reach and high stack, I can get low enough on the condor to knee myself in the chest when I'm on the drops (170mm cranks - I guess that is relevant), so my question really is am I wasting my time looking at bikes with 'race' geometry, and should I stick to bikes with 'endurance' geometry?
So in to that reach and stack question, if it is worth getting a more race oriented frame, should I focus on getting something with a similar reach but lower stack, or should the reach also be longer?

Comments

• alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    368 stack is crazy low. 568?

As you have several spacers, why not just swap them onto the top of the stem and have a long ride? Then you will know how it feels.
  • alanyu wrote:
    368 stack is crazy low. 568?

As you have several spacers, why not just swap them onto the top of the stem and have a long ride? Then you will know how it feels.
    Thanks :oops: Yeah 568 is right (580 with spacers). I'm gradually working the spacers out. I did originally have a 30mm stack under the stem. Going lower at the front isn't such an issue, but I'm really interested in seeing if I should be thinking about going longer or keep the reach the same (ish).
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Go and get a bike fit, by someone who knows what they are doing. Only then will you know your stack and reach. otherwise you will be shooting in the dark for years imo.