Straight steerer, 15mm thru-axle?

Chaz.Harding
Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
edited October 2019 in MTB buying advice
Looking to change my rigid fork to a suspension unit. Preferably with ~150mm travel.

It's a 26" wheel On-One 456, with a straight 1-1/8 headtube.

I don't care about buying used, or even buying a tapered steerer fork, as long as I can fit a new upper with a 1-1/8 straight steerer and fit that.

I'm pretty much resigned to buying a 650b fork, so long as I can get a straight steerer. I need a 15mm axle, as my 'King hubs can't convert to 20mm (only QR - which I want to avoid - or 15mm)

I like coils better than air spring, if there's an option.

What's out there? Hopefully I'm not breaking the rules here, but if anyone want to PM me with any deals...

Finally; cheaper the better.

Thanks all!
Boo-yah mofo
Sick to the power of rad
Fix it 'till it's broke

Comments

• There’s plenty of straight steerer’ed 26inch forks out there, but I’d wager they are all 20mm or QR, as 15mm was ‘developed’ after the vast majority of fork co’s had given up with straight steeper’s. Fox were the first to introduce 15mm, so maybe keep an eye out for early 36’s see if there was any cross over.

If it were me I’d use the cash you would spend on getting a new CSU to get a new 20mm king hub, as there won’t be much price difference...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are most certainly available, keep an eye out in the usual places, Facebook, eBay etc.

The later 456 frames were 44mm head tube and could take a tapered steerer........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tom Howard wrote:
    There’s plenty of straight steerer’ed 26inch forks out there, but I’d wager they are all 20mm or QR, as 15mm was ‘developed’ after the vast majority of fork co’s had given up with straight steeper’s. Fox were the first to introduce 15mm, so maybe keep an eye out for early 36’s see if there was any cross over.

If it were me I’d use the cash you would spend on getting a new CSU to get a new 20mm king hub, as there won’t be much price difference...

Manitou Markhor is what I was thinking of. Available new with a straight steerer, 26” and 15mm axle (though it’s boost, but adapters are available for your hub)

Max 120mm travel, but beggars & choosers etc

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/the- ... r-old-mtb/
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er