Newbie headset question

paulwgun
paulwgun Posts: 10
edited September 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Excuse my ignorance, I bought a giant nrs2 frame, I’ve purchased new forks but I’m a bit stuck as to what I need to fit them correctly. There’s a bearing in each end of the steerer tube and it came with a rubber dust cap but no centre cap with a Allen bolt to hold the forks in place. I’ve also seen on YouTube a crown race fitted to forks before assembly any help much appreciated

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bit on the frame is the head tube, the bit on the forks is the steerer tube.

You need a crown race on the forks that is compatible with the particular bearing the headset uses (not all are the same and cartridge and open ball crown races are totally different) you need the compression wedge and then dust cap at the top.

The Allen bolt doesn't 'hold the forks in place' it preloads the bearings while you do up the stem which then 'holds the fork in place'.

Have a read
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headset_(bicycle_part)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.