Protecting shifters from sweat

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
I'm looking at buying a new DD trainer which will prevent me using my current 10 speed Campag trainer bike. Therefore will be using one of my better bikes.
However, given the state of my shifters and bars a few years back (inadequate fan??) I am looking at ways to protect my bike.

I already have a sweat net, but to be honest it is the front end where most of the sweat ends up...

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I just throw a towel over the bars whilst I'm on the turbo.

Had no issues with sweat and bars/shifters doing that.
    Also throw in a bike wash every month or so and It'll be fine.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I use the easy and cheap solution. Drape a suitable towel over the top tube and handlebars. If you don't have one a towel can be obtained for not much money, certainly less than those sweat catcher things. It prevents all my sweat reaching the parts of the bike it covers. I use clothes pegs to prevent it moving.
  • Sweatbands are a good option, I've used them pretty much all the time over the last 5 years using the same bike and never had any issues with corrosion.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,473
    Cling film wrapped around the bars and shifters works well too. They use this method in human performance labs on their static bikes

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Thanks for the suggestions. A couple of years back when I had a rubbish fan I actually rotted through a pair of alloy bars which I used on the road too.

Sweatbands ordered - will see how that goes
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    A towel as others have said, but, just be sure to wipe your bike down after a session instead of leaving the sweat to soak under the bar tape and hoods. Its impractical to hold a towel over the bars when using the rollers, so I just wipe everything down when finished.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.