Help needed with first bike!

Tavish
Tavish Posts: 20
edited August 2019 in Road beginners
Afternoon all,

So I've applied for Ride-To-Work and need help with making sure I don't waste my money, this is my first bike so I want to get it right :?

I've wanted to get a bike for quite some time but have always been put off due to being on the heavy side of life however I've made massive changes over the past couple of years and have dropped from 154kg to 118kg, so now I think it's time to get off the spin bike and get on a real one!

I've decided to go down the cyclocross/adventure road bike route as they have slightly thicker tyres than road bikes which gives me a bit more confidence and I'll also have the option to explore when out and about. I have to get my bike from Evans Cycles and have seen the following but not sure if they're any good, I'm also open to other suggestions for me to consider.

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV338209

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV338207

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    I'm sure either would be fine.

I am absolutely no expert but rarely see anything suggesting Cannondale are anything but a good manufacturer and their CAAD range gets good reviews (check them out). The price difference is down to the slightly better drivetrain (105 rather than Tiagra) but on your first bike this is pretty academic. If you are planning on "adventures" you may want to consider how you can fit panniers to it and/or mudguards if you're likely to be riding in wet conditions regularly (probably best to ask in the shop) as I can only see one point at the bottom of the seat stay that a frame could be connected to.

As for alternatives, Evan's are stockist of Specialized, Trek and Cube among others, all of whom are reputable manufacturers and all of whom will have an equivalent to the above. Buy the prettiest.

Remember that you will need some money for helmet, bibshorts and some tools (multitool is normal) and replacement innertubes to take with you on a ride as well as the cash for the bike itself.

If you are planning on maintaining the bike yourself (and you should), you may want to think about the disc brakes and how you would maintain them - I wouldn't have a clue (but could probably work it out if I had to) and rim brakes may be easier (and probably a cheaper option for an equivalent bike).

Most importantly, make sure the bike fits and take plenty of test rides before you buy. The fit of the bike is the most important thing when buying - something cheap that fits is going to be way better than something expensive that doesn't.

Good luck
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    You’ve already had eight replies to this same question here viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13107198 Are you expecting something different by asking the same question again?

PP