Saddle rail coating coming off

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Although it is cosmetic only, I’m annoyed that the coating has began to ‘peel’ from my Specialized saddle rail.

Any tips on what product could make this more pleasing on the eye such as spraying it with paint or nail polish, etc?

I’ve only just missed a warranty claim by a few weeks.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    spray it or nail varnish or wrap it or strip it all off so there is nothing to come off.

#rails
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Your compressing a coating so it will always start flaking. do the above or ignore it like me, I never see the rails when im riding, if you do I venture you have a more exotic riding style than most.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd just ignore it because I don't worry too much about appearance as long as everything is mechanically sound. Bikes pick up dings, scratches and dirt. It's just a sign they are well used.

You on the other hand you sound as if you're allowing a bit of peeling paint to spoil your enjoyment of the bike. To the extent you'd consider a warranty claim if you could :shock:

If it's painted metal rails I'd just scrape off whatever's left and polish them up to a nice finish. The saddle clamp's going to make marks on the rails.

If carbon rails you quite often see them wrapped in something but I have no idea what.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I suppose it is just vanity and I like 'stuff' to look like how it was intended.

I do agree it is not visible when riding and really only I would see it when I'm 'off the bike' but detail is something I've always been particular about, it's just how I am wired!

Might look at something like Plastikote which I've had some success on other products with before.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Bill Gates wrote:
    I suppose it is just vanity and I like 'stuff' to look like how it was intended.

I do agree it is not visible when riding and really only I would see it when I'm 'off the bike' but detail is something I've always been particular about, it's just how I am wired!

Might look at something like Plastikote which I've had some success on other products with before.

That'll come off too though. I've seen a few saddle rails polished by legs/clothing garments, not just seat post clamps. Good luck with whatever method you try though!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    keef66 wrote:
    If carbon rails you quite often see them wrapped in something but I have no idea what.

I know the stuff you mean, looks very similar to cotton bar tape, as in the Velotex stuff.
  • I had this happen on a PRO Stealth saddle. Cheap painted black rails flaked after the initial set-up process. It's annoying that for a pretty expensive saddle they can't either leave it bare or anodise, but it's a minor visual annoyance I guess. I'll probably Nitromors it in the off-season...