Sell bike as whole or strip the parts and sell seperate?

steve9uk
steve9uk Posts: 126
edited May 2019 in MTB general
I'm looking to sell my scott scale 620 but not sure if stripping the bike will be the best option?
The bike itself is a carbon hardtail (26 wheels) with full xtr set up. Thomson seat post and stem.
The forks are Fox evolution 32 but the damper needs to be replaced as there is little lockout. I'm in 2 minds whether to strip the bike or sell as a whole?
I am after a new bike but not going to go down the road again buying high end parts.
Any advice i'd appreciate
Thanks

Steve

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    If the bike is a standard bike, ie it hasn't been heavily modded, then I would normally sell it as one item. Lots of high end parts won't give you more money, it just may sell it a bit quicker. Otherwise I'd break it up and sell the bits. But it can be a lot of work.

I did the latter because I kept most of the bits and transferred them to another bike I had that needed upgrading. Then I sold those displaced parts. I have also sold quite a few full bikes. The one thing that selling off a whole bike does is to make it very clear that you never get what you think your bike is worth. If there is something wrong with it, you will get even less. But selling the bike as a whole is much less hassle. The one thing that surprised me is that selling a whole bike seems to attract the scam artists, whereas I never had that problem when selling components.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    A 26" bike may be less appealing to people, so selling the parts may get you more money in the long run.

Would be easier to sell it as a whole but it's also got forks that need TLC.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • I'd sell the bike whole unless a lot of the parts are transferable. And in my opinion they'll more likely gather dust and never be used again like a lot of stuff in the shed / garage / loft. I hate buying and selling pre-used, if I can afford it I go for new every time. If I can part ex, that again is a bonus even if I get bottom dollar.

We're all fairly unrealistic as sellers. Disappointment is quite likely even after a load of hassle. So I'd rather have one dollop of inconvenience and probable aggravation than several.

Yes, I'm lazy and I'm a wimp. I just feel I'll always lose out no matter which side of the deal I'm on :roll:
  • steve9uk
    steve9uk Posts: 126
    Thanks guys. Its something to think about. :-)