Time to upgrade Garmin 800, but to what?

2»

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    shmooster wrote:
    Great deal on the 820 but the reason it’s so cheap is the 830 will be released in the next few weeks making the 820 obsolete, not that it will stop working or anything, it will still get software updates for a while longer.

There’s also the Wahoo Roam about to be released. I’m not sure if that’s the final name but it’s the one they’ve given on the FCC filing.

Thanks shmooster. I'm not too worried about it being obsolete, my 800 has been obsolete for years! I may change my mind on that when I see what features the new devices have but if I feel like I'm missing out I've only wasted £140 less whatever I can sell it for on ebay!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Anyone tried the Hammerhead Karoo?

https://www.hammerhead.io/products/hammerhead-karoo
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    handful wrote:
    Thanks shmooster. I'm not too worried about it being obsolete, my 800 has been obsolete for years! I may change my mind on that when I see what features the new devices have but if I feel like I'm missing out I've only wasted £140 less whatever I can sell it for on ebay!

The 830 will be full price so more than twice what you paid for the 820. Unless Garmin make some truly huge changes it’s hard to justify double the price. If it does prove to be exceptionally good you can always return the 820 or sell it like you say. Not everyone will know about the £141 offer so you could even make a profit :-)
  • handful
    That's what I was thinking!
    Orbea Rise
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Back up to £175 now on Amazon...
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • handful
    It's been up and down like a yoyo. I thought I'd missed the deal and then it came back up. That was when I thought sod it and bought it! Worth checking back regularly if anyone is interested...
    Orbea Rise
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I was in the same boat about 6 months ago when my 800 died. Tried Wahoo and a Garmin Explore... ended up returning them and buying a second hand 800. The only thing I wish it had was wifi/bluetooth but I can live without it.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I was in the same boat about 6 months ago when my 800 died. Tried Wahoo and a Garmin Explore... ended up returning them and buying a second hand 800. The only thing I wish it had was wifi/bluetooth but I can live without it.

My 800 is on it's last leg too. I was thinking about the Explore. What did you not like about it?
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    paulwood wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:

My 800 is on it's last leg too. I was thinking about the Explore. What did you not like about it?

It was a while back now so maybe things have improved but the main problem was that it didn't work at all when I had winter gloves on. Other than that it was quite good, although it did look huge. It wasn't compatible with power meters or strava live segments either but that wasn't too much of a concern to me. The issue I had with the bolt was that it couldn't find addresses with a postcode and also didn't list the town I was trying to ride to when using the phone app to plot a route.
  • handful
    I've got to say my first impressions of the 820 edge are really good. The touchsreen is fine with low sensitivity set and it's been a breeze to set it up with all sensors including eTap. Only a couple of shortish rides done so far though so not sure about battery life yet and also not downloaded any courses to follow yet. I can understand why people think it's complicated to operate compared to a Wahoo but for someone who eventually mastered and grew to love the 800 I have found it really easy. Hopefully my views won't change soon! Connect IQ has a few cool additions as well.
    Orbea Rise