Time to upgrade Garmin 800, but to what?

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
I've spent a good deal of time trawling reviews and I think I've narrowed my choices down to 4. the Garmin 520 plus, the 820, Wahoo Element and the Element Bolt.

Against what many people have said about the 800 in the past I have absolutely loved mine once I'd worked out how to swerve all of the glitches which was very long winded and frustrating. I suspect the 820 would be equally frustrating to own initially but recent review are suggesting a lot of the issues first found with this device are now much improved (over sensitive screen, slow to render mapping etc) It's the cheapest currently at £175 from Halfords so a bit of a bargain and maintains the ability to route from the device which I have found useful on odd occasions with my 800.

The 520 plus and Element Bolt are probably the safest and most reliable option at £199 with loads of great reviews but I lose the on device mapping. Both also have smaller screens which is important for me to consider with my aging eyesight, I found the 800 screen hard to follow on maps at times.

So then there is the Element with the bigger screen but again no device mapping. and a slightly higher cost £219.

My reason for upgrading is due to a new bike arriving soon with eTap and I want to make use of battery stats and maybe gear stats a well. I think the Wahoo devices display all 4 battery status's whereas garmin only the weakest?

Any comments to challenge any of the above or any real life experiences from people with similar circumstances to mine would be appreciated.
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The 520 plus has on device mapping - so you can navigate to presaved locations, or POIs etc, isn't quite as versatile as on the 800 though.

With either the 520 plus or the wahoo you can plot a route on your phone and navigate with it straight away. The Elemnt (non-bolt) certainly has the advantage on readability.

As you've hinted though, they're all good devices, can't go wrong with any of them.

Oh, and the 820 is the same size screen as the 520 unless i'm very much mistaken.
  • handful
    TimothyW wrote:
    The 520 plus has on device mapping - so you can navigate to presaved locations, or POIs etc, isn't quite as versatile as on the 800 though.

With either the 520 plus or the wahoo you can plot a route on your phone and navigate with it straight away. The Elemnt (non-bolt) certainly has the advantage on readability.

As you've hinted though, they're all good devices, can't go wrong with any of them.

Oh, and the 820 is the same size screen as the 520 unless i'm very much mistaken.

Ok,thanks, thought it was bigger but you are correct it seems! I think I'm going to head towards a 520 plus unless persuaded elsewhere! I can just about get away with the screen size by wearing one contact lens. I don't like wearing them because they dry out badly on descents leaving me partially blind!
    Orbea Rise
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The wahoo elemnt bolt is brilliant and just works. From my experience it is the best cycling gps on the market. But if you need a big screen the elemnt or larger garmins would be better for you.

Both wahoo and Garmin are rumoured to be releasing new models of cycling gps computers this spring. With the current discounts on the wahoo elemnt and edge 820 it would add strength to this rumour. Just something to bear in mind.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    redvision wrote:
    The wahoo elemnt bolt is brilliant and just works. From my experience it is the best cycling gps on the market. But if you need a big screen the elemnt or larger garmins would be better for you.

Both wahoo and Garmin are rumoured to be releasing new models of cycling gps computers this spring. With the current discounts on the wahoo elemnt and edge 820 it would add strength to this rumour. Just something to bear in mind.

This.

My element bolt is fantastic...it Just works and has a great battery life. Garmin can be great when they work but their user interface is also a mess. You use your phone to do most of the configuration but that just makes it easier in my opinion
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    handful wrote:
    My reason for upgrading is due to a new bike arriving soon with eTap and I want to make use of battery stats and maybe gear stats a well. I think the Wahoo devices display all 4 battery status's whereas garmin only the weakest?

Any comments to challenge any of the above or any real life experiences from people with similar circumstances to mine would be appreciated.

I have SRAM Etap. I previously had a 520 and I’ve now got a Bolt after I was fed up with the 520 battery issues.

The 520 could display the “worst” Etap battery. I think the Bolt can display some battery info but it’s so easy to check the two derailleur batteries - change gear and if it flashes red you’ve got about 100k. The rear goes first so swap it with the front. The two batteries in the shifters have lasted 6000m and 2 years so probably due for change soon

I preferred the 520 gear display which would show 50x19 for example whereas the Bolt shows either two numbers 1/2 & 1-11 or a graphical scale. I’m now used to the graphic.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    1st stay away of the 820 and the awful touch screen. Personally i went from garmin 500 to Bolt, what i dont like is that the calories calculation seems very odd compared to 500 it gives me much higher, (does anyone else have the same issue?) other than that it just works, easy to set it up, very good battery, very good visibility even under Cyprus sun, you can also zoom in, so there is no real need to go for the bigger one.
  • handful
    redvision wrote:

I'm not too worried about having the latest models tbh but thanks for the comments on the Bolt.
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    redvision wrote:

This.

My element bolt is fantastic...it Just works and has a great battery life. Garmin can be great when they work but their user interface is also a mess. You use your phone to do most of the configuration but that just makes it easier in my opinion

Bolt getting the votes so far which I kind of expected. Everyone slated the user interface of the 800 but once I'd sussed it out I found it fine. thanks though, shifting slightly closer towards the Wahoos now!
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    paulbnix wrote:
    handful wrote:

I have SRAM Etap. I previously had a 520 and I’ve now got a Bolt after I was fed up with the 520 battery issues.

The 520 could display the “worst” Etap battery. I think the Bolt can display some battery info but it’s so easy to check the two derailleur batteries - change gear and if it flashes red you’ve got about 100k. The rear goes first so swap it with the front. The two batteries in the shifters have lasted 6000m and 2 years so probably due for change soon

I preferred the 520 gear display which would show 50x19 for example whereas the Bolt shows either two numbers 1/2 & 1-11 or a graphical scale. I’m now used to the graphic.

Thanks paulbnix. Did you have a 520 or 520 plus?
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    YiannisM wrote:
    1st stay away of the 820 and the awful touch screen. Personally i went from garmin 500 to Bolt, what i dont like is that the calories calculation seems very odd compared to 500 it gives me much higher, (does anyone else have the same issue?) other than that it just works, easy to set it up, very good battery, very good visibility even under Cyprus sun, you can also zoom in, so there is no real need to go for the bigger one.

The early touch screen issues appear to have been sorted by firmware upgrades I believe. I have read that they still ship with the earlier firmware and you have to upgrade to the latest firmware to solve this and I think that's why they still get slated. Real life experiences still needed to convince me though. Thanks for the Bolt vote though!
    Orbea Rise
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Saw this advertised recently somewhere - its main claim appears to be a battery life of up to 96hrs. Has a built in "safety" light but I think you can also opt for a clip-on headlight. Appears to have all the required functions including turn-by-turn navigation using their own phone App.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHANREN-Comput ... anren&th=1

Brief YouTube demo here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZFRodCyDc

Not seen any real reviews so the usual caveats apply.
  • handful
    arlowood wrote:
    Saw this advertised recently somewhere - its main claim appears to be a battery life of up to 96hrs. Has a built in "safety" light but I think you can also opt for a clip-on headlight. Appears to have all the required functions including turn-by-turn navigation using their own phone App.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHANREN-Comput ... anren&th=1

Brief YouTube demo here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZFRodCyDc

Not seen any real reviews so the usual caveats apply.

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2019/03/03/shanren-di-pro-bicycle-computer-review/

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll pass on that one for now!
    Orbea Rise
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    The 520 Plus and 1030 are still the most popular GPS units used by the WT Pros. Sky are sponsored by Wahoo but even they signed up for Gramin units from 2019.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Thanks paulbnix. Did you have a 520 or 520 plus?
    I had the original 520.
  • I have the 820 with latest firmware.. it’s great.
    I’ve had the Bt and yes it was good but dare I say the interface was a bit drab for me.
    I like Garmins and when they work they’re really good, I’ve had ETap too and the gear display is very useful if you need to know
    Just my opinion, nothing more.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I changed from Wahoo Bolt (fantastic) to a 520 Plus.

For me, I just didn't like the screen / appearance on the Bolt. The unit itself was faultless and the app is great, but for me, the Gamin is just a better unit to work with.

I use an app called EasyRoute which you can create routes on and upload to Garmin Connect to sync with your Edge whilst out of a ride. Much easier than faffing on the Edge itself.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • handful
    edited March 2019
    I have the 820 with latest firmware.. it’s great.
    I’ve had the Bt and yes it was good but dare I say the interface was a bit drab for me.
    I like Garmins and when they work they’re really good, I’ve had ETap too and the gear display is very useful if you need to know
    Just my opinion, nothing more.

That's what I was hoping to hear more of to be honest. I reckon the touch screen issue gives the 820 bad press but had actually been resolved now. Is yours ok in the rain? £175 seems like a bit of a bargain if it's not got any of the reported issues any more.
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    Ryan_W wrote:
    I changed from Wahoo Bolt (fantastic) to a 520 Plus.

For me, I just didn't like the screen / appearance on the Bolt. The unit itself was faultless and the app is great, but for me, the Gamin is just a better unit to work with.

I use an app called EasyRoute which you can create routes on and upload to Garmin Connect to sync with your Edge whilst out of a ride. Much easier than faffing on the Edge itself.

I've not seen a bolt in the flesh but they do seem a little bit drab to me as well. I've used Ridewithgps for years and find it fantastic for routing but occasionally have used my 800 to find my way when I've changed my mind on direction or distance during a route. It's not essential for me but on device routing would be nice to retain if I can although I wouldn't want to pay a huge premium for it. ( Like having to have a 1030) thanks for the comment.
    Orbea Rise
  • The "drab" screen of the Wahoo is a plus for me. It shows the info I need in a clear, uncluttered way, I don't want anything more than that. Navigation is clear and works. Setup is child's play. Then when I get home from a ride all the data is automatically uploaded and on Strava/wherever before I've even got my gloves off. For me, it's pretty close to perfect.
  • handful
    The "drab" screen of the Wahoo is a plus for me. It shows the info I need in a clear, uncluttered way, I don't want anything more than that. Navigation is clear and works. Setup is child's play. Then when I get home from a ride all the data is automatically uploaded and on Strava/wherever before I've even got my gloves off. For me, it's pretty close to perfect.

Fair point well made. It's a tough choice but thankfully I don't think there is a right or wrong one.
    Orbea Rise
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    TBH, you read like you'd already made your mind up to buy the 520 before posting this. But for what its worth; I've had enough Garmins (705 (good), 810 & 820 (both utterly crap)) to convince me to move away and try the Wahoo ELEMNT and its been faultless. Using it with Di2 and the hidden buttons gives me a clear indication of battery life for the device and Di2. For those that want it, it'll even tell you which gear combination you're in. The screen size is ideal for those of us with struggling short distance sight allowing me to have as many data readings as I can see on the screen.

Mapping is a synch and it will do POI, return to home and ride me anywhere following a firmware update. I've never had a problem with it and the monochrome screen is easy to see in dim or bright light. As far as looking dull goes; do you want to sit and look at the screen all day or ride your bike and look at the device when you need to? Turn by turn works and is easy to see on the screen.

Setting the ELEMNT devices up couldn't be simpler and does away with all the messing about you go through with Garmin devices.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Just to add, I went from an Edge 1000 to the Bolt to the 520 Plus.

After using the Bolt, I knew I was sold on buttons. Touch screens just don't work for cycle computers IMO.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • handful
    philthy3 wrote:
    TBH, you read like you'd already made your mind up to buy the 520 before posting this. But for what its worth; I've had enough Garmins (705 (good), 810 & 820 (both utterly crap)) to convince me to move away and try the Wahoo ELEMNT and its been faultless. Using it with Di2 and the hidden buttons gives me a clear indication of battery life for the device and Di2. For those that want it, it'll even tell you which gear combination you're in. The screen size is ideal for those of us with struggling short distance sight allowing me to have as many data readings as I can see on the screen.

Mapping is a synch and it will do POI, return to home and ride me anywhere following a firmware update. I've never had a problem with it and the monochrome screen is easy to see in dim or bright light. As far as looking dull goes; do you want to sit and look at the screen all day or ride your bike and look at the device when you need to? Turn by turn works and is easy to see on the screen.

Setting the ELEMNT devices up couldn't be simpler and does away with all the messing about you go through with Garmin devices.

Not at all, still can't decide now! It's probably true I'd like to stick to Garmin but only for reasons of familiarity, being able to reuse existing mounts etc but if they're was a clear benefit to switching then fine, time to move on. My 800 has been a great device for the last 6 or 7 years and if I can get similar longevity out of my next device I will be happy regardless of the name on it. I find that often overly positive reviews for a product can be a sign of people jumping on the bandwagon to recommend without much or any experience (Like with Hunt wheels) and it's good to dig below the surface a bit for some real views.☺️
    Orbea Rise
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I moved from the 800 to the ELEMNT and don't regret it.

Pre-routing is very easy using RidewithGPS connected to my Wahoo account.

Re-routing when out on the road is also easy (if you have a data connection). The Wahoo mapping favours cycling roads whilst the 800 onboard mapping would put you on the most unsuitable roads (dual carriageways etc).

The simple screen is less distracting than trying to read the fainter/coloured 800. Buttons are easier when you are moving.

Configuration via the Wahoo app is also easier than trying to navigate the cack handed Garmin menus on the 800.
  • handful
    Navrig2 wrote:

Re-routing when out on the road is also easy (if you have a data connection). The Wahoo mapping favours cycling roads whilst the 800 onboard mapping would put you on the most unsuitable roads (dual carriageways etc).

The simple screen is less distracting than trying to read the fainter/coloured 800. Buttons are easier when you are moving.

Configuration via the Wahoo app is also easier than trying to navigate the cack handed Garmin menus on the 800.

Thanks Navrig, nice to get a view from an ex 800 user. I don't find the touchscreen a problem at all though to be honest. Not saying buttons wouldn't be better though.
    Orbea Rise
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    handful wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:

Thanks Navrig, nice to get a view from an ex 800 user. I don't find the touchscreen a problem at all though to be honest. Not saying buttons wouldn't be better though.

The touchscreen wasn't a problem it's just that I don't have to look down for as long to press a button as I can do it by touch.
  • handful
    Fair enough, thanks for clarifying
    Orbea Rise
  • TFTBR77
    TFTBR77 Posts: 3
    I`ve had 2 Garmins then moved over to Wahoo Elment Bolt and never looked back! much better for me!
  • handful
    Update

Was about to press the button on a 520 plus, mainly to save having to buy more Wahoo mounts for all my bikes but saw a deal for the 820 and succumbed. I'm pretty sure the touchscreen issues are sorted now looking at recent reviews and it's got all the features that I want so hopefully I won't regret it! Currently £141 on Amazon if anyone is interested.
    Orbea Rise
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Great deal on the 820 but the reason it’s so cheap is the 830 will be released in the next few weeks making the 820 obsolete, not that it will stop working or anything, it will still get software updates for a while longer.

There’s also the Wahoo Roam about to be released. I’m not sure if that’s the final name but it’s the one they’ve given on the FCC filing.