Klaus B Posts: 63
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Klaus B wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Klaus B wrote:
    2) rotational mass is overplayed.. citation please

Sure, here you go:

http://www.biketechreview.com/reviews/w ... erformance

Well if aerodynamic comes first and mass second.. if the aerodynamic is equal the mass pop up in first place again..

"Wheel inertia effects in all cases are so small that they are arguably insignificant"

"Furthermore, the 0.3kg/0.66lb difference in wheels, even if this mass is out at the rim, is so small compared to your body mass that the differences in wheel inertia will be unperceivable"

:D I give you this. But I still don't understand why people without any pro racing potential cannot sacrifice half a kilo and a little bit of money more in tools for a better safety when riding. At the end of the day we are not riding at 10 mph so things can be really quick in happening.
  • Klaus B
    I remember descending the Zoncolan in Italy on the steep side (where Froome won climbing it last year), I had to stop three times in 10k to let my Miche alloy rims to cool down.. sure carbon rims are better but in long term replacing a worn carbon rim is more expensive than replacing a disc rotor.
  • Klaus B
    My question to all the people that are fine with their carbon wheels/rim brakes combo in all conditions is:

have you ever tried in the road bike hydraulic disc option in all the same conditions as to compare them?

I've personally never tried carbon/rim brake combo but from my experience with road bike rim brake, having tried pretty decent road mechanical discs (ok they where matched with 32mm tires so a big advantage in grip under braking there) the difference was night and day..
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Yeah I've used my Trek Domane Hydraulic Disc Brake Bike in the wilds of Snowdonia in the winter, I've also used my rim brake Aeroad with carbon rims in the wilds of Snowdonia in the very wild and wet Autumn.
    I've ridden rim brake bikes all over Europe in all weathers. I do see disc brake bikes have an advantage with wider wheels, but I've never once thought "jeez I feel unsafe and wish I had disc brakes".
    Actually tell I lie, I once had Avid Mechanical disc brakes, and they were unsafe. Swiftly upgraded those to TRP Spyre.
    I completely understand why people want disc brake bikes and I can see the benefits they offer, I just get annoyed when I read carbon rim braking being poor (it was a few years ago but huge improvements since) and also about aero benefits or rotational weight differences. The last two points to me take away from the fact that some people prefer to have disc brakes as it suits their riding. If someone feels safer riding with disc brakes that's great, its all about choice. I certainly won't disagree that a 32mm tyre and hydraulic brakes performs better than my aeroad with carbon rims and 23mm skinny tyres in the wet. But equally my carbon rims aren't unsafe, its just a matter of preference.
  • Klaus B
    w00dster wrote:
    Yeah I've used my Trek Domane Hydraulic Disc Brake Bike in the wilds of Snowdonia in the winter, I've also used my rim brake Aeroad with carbon rims in the wilds of Snowdonia in the very wild and wet Autumn.
    I've ridden rim brake bikes all over Europe in all weathers. I do see disc brake bikes have an advantage with wider wheels, but I've never once thought "jeez I feel unsafe and wish I had disc brakes".
    Actually tell I lie, I once had Avid Mechanical disc brakes, and they were unsafe. Swiftly upgraded those to TRP Spyre.
    I completely understand why people want disc brake bikes and I can see the benefits they offer, I just get annoyed when I read carbon rim braking being poor (it was a few years ago but huge improvements since) and also about aero benefits or rotational weight differences. The last two points to me take away from the fact that some people prefer to have disc brakes as it suits their riding. If someone feels safer riding with disc brakes that's great, its all about choice. I certainly won't disagree that a 32mm tyre and hydraulic brakes performs better than my aeroad with carbon rims and 23mm skinny tyres in the wet. But equally my carbon rims aren't unsafe, its just a matter of preference.

Well preference and performance in the wet like you said.. do you think with equal tire width disc are still having an advantage in the wet? Can I ask you what's your weight? And how your carbon rims braking surface have worn during time?
  • w00dster
    I'm 67kgs, very much a typical skinny cyclist. In the wet I've mentioned that there is a performance benefit from the wider tyre and hydraulic brakes - but it doesn't make carbon rims unsafe. Carbon rim wear is not an issue for me, I'm fortunate enough to have multiple bikes/wheels so I wouldn't expect to wear through any rims anytime soon. My oldest carbon rims are about 18 months old and are fine.
    I've said previously, if I had only one bike, it would be disc brake. I agree that the combination of the hydraulic discs with the wider tyre make that a better choice for one bike in the UK. However I was pointing out that carbon rim brakes work fine, there is no worry with regards to the tubeless tyre falling of the rim, rotational weight is negligible and there is no aero advantage (or disadvantage) that we would notice.
    (ps - I ride with a decent sprinter who is about 85kgs, he generally rides his rim brake bike as well - mainly because he prefers it for the climbing we do, I also think that is placebo with him wanting the rim brake bike as he can climb equally well on his aero disc brake bike, all down to what we perceive to be better performing)
    Honestly I'm not disagreeing with the fact that disc brake bikes do brake better in the wet. I'm also saying rim brake bikes are not all of a sudden unsafe.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Klaus B wrote:
    My question to all the people that are fine with their carbon wheels/rim brakes combo in all conditions is:

have you ever tried in the road bike hydraulic disc option in all the same conditions as to compare them?

I've personally never tried carbon/rim brake combo but from my experience with road bike rim brake, having tried pretty decent road mechanical discs (ok they where matched with 32mm tires so a big advantage in grip under braking there) the difference was night and day..

I'd think the difference in tyres make up the bigger difference there.
  • hunty1980
    hunty1980 Posts: 20
    Rokt wrote:
    hunty1980,

I picked up a 2018 SuperSix Evo Hi-MOD Dura-Ace a couple of weeks ago for £2700.
    I've gone mad a purchased a set of Vision Metron 40SL tubs for it and it climbs like a
    mountain goat......I really need to up my game now !

I live on the edge of the Pennines on the Derbyshire/Yorkshire border and everywhere
    is a climb. Check out http://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk

nice work Rokt - although think you must have picked up the last one :-(
  • w00dster
    That is a steal for that supersix. I've got the Vision Metron 40 SL wheels (disc brake version). Good wheels. I've used mine through two winters and been very reliable. Even used them off-road. With different wheels still available in a 54...

https://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/m39 ... HEELS-2018
  • Klaus B
    Like I said I've never tried a carbon rim/ good rim brakes combo in my life..nor a hydraulic system on a road bike. But like that guy said above, if I have the possibility to own only one decent bike I'm gonna go for disc at least until I live in UK. And for me improving in braking performance even if only in the wet, while being equal when it's not, is a step forward in safety, and I would pay the extra money for extra safety.
    Can you just tell me btw what downsides have discs apart of coming half a kilo more in a full bike package?
  • Shaun67
    Shaun67 Posts: 219
    Have a look at www.paulscycles.co.uk

I ride with mates who have SuperSix's and CAAD12's and both are very nice.
    I also ride with a lad that has a Giant TCR and that is real nice, worth a look.
  • w00dster
    The only really downside to discs that I see are that at the moment there is a small weight penalty (used to be bigger difference but the 2019 frames are almost comparable) and there is a small price difference. I don't see the difference in wheel weight or aero benefits either way as a factor in choosing what brake system to choose.
    As I've previously mentioned if it was a one bike only decision, then disc is the way to go in my opinion. I only interjected into this discussion when there was talk about tubeless tyres being dangerous on rim brakes, rotation mass differences and aero benefits of the caliper being hidden. That sort of thing kind of annoys me.
    We should just leave it as better braking in all conditions with an added benefit of a lot of the endurance models allow for wide tyres, some in excess of 32mm with full guards.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Klaus B wrote:
    Like I said I've never tried a carbon rim/ good rim brakes combo in my life..nor a hydraulic system on a road bike. But like that guy said above, if I have the possibility to own only one decent bike I'm gonna go for disc at least until I live in UK. And for me improving in braking performance even if only in the wet, while being equal when it's not, is a step forward in safety, and I would pay the extra money for extra safety.
    Can you just tell me btw what downsides have discs apart of coming half a kilo more in a full bike package?

I refer you to the dozens of threads here asking why their discs aren't working...

Just the bedding in process sounds silly to me. I've never done that on rim brakes and does everyone know to do it ?
  • Klaus B
    w00dster wrote:
    The only really downside to discs that I see are that at the moment there is a small weight penalty (used to be bigger difference but the 2019 frames are almost comparable) and there is a small price difference. I don't see the difference in wheel weight or aero benefits either way as a factor in choosing what brake system to choose.
    As I've previously mentioned if it was a one bike only decision, then disc is the way to go in my opinion. I only interjected into this discussion when there was talk about tubeless tyres being dangerous on rim brakes, rotation mass differences and aero benefits of the caliper being hidden. That sort of thing kind of annoys me.
    We should just leave it as better braking in all conditions with an added benefit of a lot of the endurance models allow for wide tyres, some in excess of 32mm with full guards.

Fair enough my friend, I don't want to annoy you with facts that are not true. I accept to be wrong like when coogie proved above showing me that article of the marginal improvement in reducing rotational mass..But I don't think that my friend bike mechanic said not the truth while reporting me the tubeless tire come off the rim due overheating of the brake rim brake surface. I know that the descent of the Zoncolan (11k at more than 10% average with the 5 central kilometers never below than 15%) is an extreme example, but I still remember the fading in brake performance and the temperature my alloy rims reached..if I was continuing without stopping the bike and let the rims cooling down I think I was melting the tires not only popping them off.. considering the fact that I never had similar experiences around Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo and other Dolomites descents, that's probably because of the steep/length ratio of that particular descent, one of the steepest in Europe I think.
    Btw with carbon rims that dissipate better the heat (?) and specific pads that story could have been different.
    But how many are riding alloy tubeless rim brakes wheels.. more than a few I think. I'm not trusting much alloy rims since then at least in heat management.
    And regarding the improve aerodynamics in hiding calipers..well can you prove me that I'm wrong? I know that trusting business companies that are trying to sell their stuff is a 'risk' but like you said above the same companies (and their sayings about improvements over their products) have brought improvements over time that you are enjoying on your bikes, like better carbon rims better brake pads, better winter bikes, better brake performance in the wet. So why don't trust them when they say that in particular models the aerodynamic is better in their disc version? prove me please if I'm wrong with this.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    This has been done to death many times and there are dedicated threads for it. All this is doing is derailing a thread about what bike to buy.
  • Klaus B
    Bondurant wrote:
    This has been done to death many times and there are dedicated threads for it. All this is doing is derailing a thread about what bike to buy.

Yeah sorry about that hunty1980. It was not the place to start a new discussion regarding my preferences. That's an healthy budget btw, you can buy nice stuff with it regardless brake options.
  • Klaus B
    https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cat ... iew-51896/

This bike looks nice to me. Having owned an Emonda sl couple of years ago I completely agree that the Emonda in H2 fit (less racy than the pro ones) has a spot on geometry. Loved that bike. With 25mm tires it was really comfy.
  • Klaus B
    w00dster wrote:
    That is a steal for that supersix. I've got the Vision Metron 40 SL wheels (disc brake version). Good wheels. I've used mine through two winters and been very reliable. Even used them off-road. With different wheels still available in a 54...

https://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/m39 ... HEELS-2018

This supersix is sweet :o that color is AMAZING
    I think supersix is the best to look at with its traditionally horizontal top tube and the clean lines. I like the look of BMC bikes too.
  • Klaus B
    Another bike to consider IMO is the focus izalco race disc. That geometry on paper looks nice and racy. You can save hundreds of pounds compared to the fancy names and they've been on the podium of the tour with Bardet couple of years ago. Solid reputation in cyclo-cross as well.
  • hunty1980
    hunty1980 Posts: 20
    A massive thank you to everyone that has offered their advice - it really is appreciated.

I'm very tempted with the Cervelo R3. I'm 5' 10" with a 32' inside leg - can any provide guidance on the right size?

Thanks,
    G
  • hunty1980 wrote:
    A massive thank you to everyone that has offered their advice - it really is appreciated.

I'm very tempted with the Cervelo R3. I'm 5' 10" with a 32' inside leg - can any provide guidance on the right size?

Thanks,
    G

Good choice , 54cm
  • clubsport
    clubsport Posts: 51
    I'm a bit taller with a 32 inside leg and ride a 56cm R3.
    The thing is, the R3 has a relatively long top tube compared to my other 56cm road bikes.

I think you may be "between" sizes, as it were, so you may go toward the 54cm mentioned above.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    6'1, 34" leg and a 58cm S3 with 110mm stem.

however.....

my S5 was a 56 and so was my Soloist.......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vegas76 wrote:
    Also add that you can use carbon wheels with discs on wet roads - not possible with rim brakes.

"Not possible", for who? You???!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Vegas76 wrote:
    Also add that you can use carbon wheels with discs on wet roads - not possible with rim brakes.

I was doing just that until September last year.

Also is it beyond anyones wit - to adjust your riding style for the conditions ? - if its wet you back off ....
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Vegas76 wrote:

I was doing just that until September last year.

Also is it beyond anyones wit - to adjust your riding style for the conditions ? - if its wet you back off ....

Far too many #DiscBrakeSnowflakes floating about these days...
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Canyon Ultimate SL disc Ultegra - comes in just under your budget and is fantastic!