Road Bike Recommendations - Budget £2,000 - £2,500

hunty1980
hunty1980 Posts: 20
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I’m looking for a new road bike and totally lost on what to purchase or where to start.

Budget
Current budget is c.£2k, but have access to my work’s Cycle-2-Work scheme, so could go to c.£2.5k if this can be used against the new bike.

About Me
I’m 38 years old and currently weighing 11 stone (70Kg). I live in North Yorkshire where an average 30 mile ride involves at least 2,500 – 3,500 feet of climbing. I’m a pretty decent climber due to my weight and fitness level.

Current Bike
My first & current road bike is a 2017 Cube Attain GTC with rim brakes.
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/cycle-2-w ... m8EALw_wcB

Wheel Upgrades
I recently upgraded the stock Mavic Aksium Elite wheels for Hunt Aero Wide wheels – 28mm tubeless Conti GP5k. As the wheels are relatively new, I’m keen to use them on the replacement bike - if possible.
https://www.huntbikewheels.com/products ... eep-24wide

Any advice or recommendations would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
G

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    If the current bike fits well and you are still on rim brakes, I’d just run with something that fits. Most non aero frames easily support 28mm wide tyres and modern 105/Ultegra/dura ace brakes also support 28mm tyres.

As for recommendations, this frameset looks like quite an endurance shaped frame, are you after something comfy or more racy?
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Having just bought a Rose I am biased but the bike below would be my choice at your budget. For £200 less you can get the 105 option.
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite ... ra-2661720
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    If you're wanting to re-use components it's pointless paying for a full bike which at that price would have budget wheels. Either get a nice new frame - lots of choice of very good frames for your budget, or go used. If you climb lots, you will love a 2018 colour Cervelo R3 frameset and a new Ultegra group for well within your budget.
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    ...having said that, just searched and there are very few left now. Sigma have (disc) frameset @ 1649, and NRG have some full (rim) bikes @ 2299. Latter is full R8000 with Aksiums, flog the wheelset for a ton, still a bargain. Size permitting of course.
  • hunty1980
    Thank you to everyone for their sound advice.
    philbar72 wrote:
    As for recommendations, this frameset looks like quite an endurance shaped frame, are you after something comfy or more racy?

I've managed to build my fitness up on my current bike, so was swinging to something more racy - although my wife keeps reminding me that I'm not getting any younger... :(
    pauly69 wrote:
    If you're wanting to re-use components it's pointless paying for a full bike which at that price would have budget wheels. Either get a nice new frame - lots of choice of very good frames for your budget, or go used. If you climb lots, you will love a 2018 colour Cervelo R3 frameset and a new Ultegra group for well within your budget.

You're right - I have the wheels, so a decent frameset with budget wheels is the best option for me. I will take a look a the Cervelo R3...it looks bright 8)
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I was in exactly the same situation. I brought a kuota khydra disc brake di2 from bike science in Bristol - cost me just over £2k (£3.5k RRP) - and they don't charge a fee for c2w - bike was ready in around a week.

I wanted a race looking bike - but with relaxed geometry and discs there weren't really that many options.

https://www.bike-science.com/products/k ... -bike-2014
  • philbar72
    hunty1980 wrote:
    Thank you to everyone for their sound advice.
    philbar72 wrote:

I've managed to build my fitness up on my current bike, so was swinging to something more racy - although my wife keeps reminding me that I'm not getting any younger... :(

both my bikes are race fit, and I'm comfy on them for big rides and crits and road bike TT's. I wouldn't mind a more comfy bike for ultra distance stuff but something racy works for 5 full distance Lieges and the odd 300km audax. its all about keeping the contact points comfy..
  • Klaus B
    Klaus B Posts: 63
    IMO go disc.
    You can sell the hunt's wheels if they are barely used. That brand is quite popular now and your set is modern and internally wide.. you should't have problems in selling them.
    Then my advice is go for a Giant tcr disc or a trek emonda disc. You can keep your nice gp5000 tubless then.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out the planet X offerings. Great value.
    I watched Paris Nice at the weekend and most teams are still on rim brakes. If discs offered an advantage they would all be on them - they're not even taking them for free.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    You really need to take a close look at a SuperSix, some ace deals around on 2018 models.
  • hunty1980
    Rokt wrote:
    You really need to take a close look at a SuperSix, some ace deals around on 2018 models.

I've always been tempted by a Cannondale. When purchasing my first bike, it was a toss up between a CAAD12 and the Cube Attain GTC. I was swaying towards the CAAD12 - felt more responsive and quicker on the test ride, but someone put me off by saying it would be an uncomfortable ride (Racey vs. Enduro etc.

It was my first road bike, so a little wet behind the ears - well still am when it comes to bikes - although fitter to be able to handle something more racey.

Any pointers on Cannondale deals?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    https://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m7b100s2 ... gJS6vD_BwE

CAAD12 2018 frameset. The purple Dura Ace one is stunning though and only just over budget!
    https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/cannondale ... _campaign=[
  • Klaus B
    cougie wrote:
    I watched Paris Nice at the weekend and most teams are still on rim brakes. If discs offered an advantage they would all be on them - they're not even taking them for free.

Advantage of discs:

1) Better stopping power in all weather conditions, thus more safety on the road
    2) Less gravitational mass around the rim as disc brake rim does't need a breaking surface (extra material that add weight where anyone doesn't want it)
    3) Going tubeless in a road bike is less dangerous. I mean avoiding the possibility of the tubeless tire to come off the rim due to high temperatures on the braking surface under heavy breaking. Definitely a possibility in a long descent. Again more safety
    4) More tire clearance on frame and fork for who cares about that
    5) Better aerodynamics as the fork protects the caliper from the air
    6) and probably more...

Disadvantages:

1) in the world of pro team where overall weight count (but again you save weight where it's more important;look above)
    2) expensive
    3) that's it? aesthetic??

Correct me where I'm wrong please
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Also add that you can use carbon wheels with discs on wet roads - not possible with rim brakes.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2019
    Klaus B wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Advantage of discs:

1) Better stopping power in all weather conditions, thus more safety on the road
    2) Less gravitational mass around the rim as disc brake rim does't need a breaking surface (extra material that add weight where anyone doesn't want it)
    3) Going tubeless in a road bike is less dangerous. I mean avoiding the possibility of the tubeless tire to come off the rim due to high temperatures on the braking surface under heavy breaking. Definitely a possibility in a long descent. Again more safety
    6) and probably more...

Disadvantages:

1) in the world of pro team where overall weight count (but again you save weight where it's more important;look above)
    2) expensive

1) Better stopping power in the wet, undeniably. In the dry though tire grip is more important.
    2) The significance of rotational mass is overplayed. Anyway, disc wheels need to be stiffer to resist greater braking forces so have more durable hubs and more spokes so are hence heavier overall.
    3) Citation please, can't say I've heard about this myself. Anecdotally I've used tubeless with rim brake wheels for a long time and never had this issue.
    4) Correct - Hence the popularity of disc brakes on gravel/mountain/xc bikes where tire clearance matters.
    5) Citation please, some manufacturers claim rim brakes are more aero, others discs. Parcours for example say that disc wheels have more drag although the difference is small:

https://www.parcours.cc/pages/aerodynamics_disc

A disadvantage you missed is that rim brakes are easier for the home mechanic to maintain and require less specialized equipment to do so. Disc brakes have been brilliant for local bike shops as they've given them loads more work.
    You also missed the awful sound of disc brake squeal in the wet.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Klaus B wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Advantage of discs:

6) and probably more...

Disadvantages:

2) expensive

I have not long purchased my first disc bike ...If I were buying again I think I would go back to rims...

1.it terms of stopping power - there appears very little if any advantage over my ultegra rim brake set up.

2.The maintenance is more complex

3.you probably get through axles

Minor points and I am slow cyclist in my 50s ...maybe I dont need that extra stopping power !!!!!

It was also my first dabble with di2 ...which I love !
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Another recommendation fir the Supersix. I got one after having a carbon Giant Defy.
    Much more exciting to ride and actually still pretty comfortable.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'd recommend the Supersix as well, excellent bikes, I'd go for the Ultegra version and put some decent deep carbon wheels on it.
    I have a rim brake bike and a disc brake bike. Horses for courses. If I could only have one I'd go for disc, but I much prefer the rim brake bike. The braking on my carbon rims in the wet is absolutely fine, with the correct pads, brake set up and awareness it works with no scares or panics. My disc brake bikes do brake better in the wet, but they are still limited to the grip of the tyre and the need for awareness also applies. I'm tubeless on both and have been for years. I ride in the mountains on both bikes and have never had a tire come off the rim for overheating reasons, nor have I ever heard of it happening. Some of the descents are over 60mph going into hairpins where the braking is quite noticeable, also some tight multiple hairpins where there is a need to drag on the brakes. No tires have popped of the rim with overheating and no rims have exploded mid descent. Less gravitational weight on the rim?!?? Really think that makes any difference? How many watts difference do you think a 1400 gram carbon rim brake over a disc brake equivalent is? Its the converse of people who say rim brake bikes are more aero, they probably are, but its absolutely negligible for the vast majority of people. And you also mentioned better aerodynamics as the fork protects the caliper from the wind? WTF? Dude, the only people who say that disc brake bikes are on a par with rim brake bike for "aeroness" (is that a word???!) are the people selling aero disc brake bikes (waves at Trek and Canyon).
    For me, the only benefit of disc brake bikes is the wider tyre clearances. This is only relevant for me because of some of the more adventurous rides I do that I wouldn't do on a 25mm tyre.
    Horses for courses as I say, some people prefer disc brake bikes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But lets be reasonable. If the OP wants to just ride road, then rim brake bikes are absolutely fine as are disc brakes. If the OP would prefer to have extra comfort or to have the ability to maybe explore some light off-road and wants 32 to 35mm tyres, then disc brake bikes are the better option.
    I ride an equal amount off-road as on-road, I get the benefits of disc brakes. But some of the hyperbole that gets spouted is a pure crock at times.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    hunty1980,

I picked up a 2018 SuperSix Evo Hi-MOD Dura-Ace a couple of weeks ago for £2700.
    I've gone mad a purchased a set of Vision Metron 40SL tubs for it and it climbs like a
    mountain goat......I really need to up my game now !

I live on the edge of the Pennines on the Derbyshire/Yorkshire border and everywhere
    is a climb. Check out http://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk
  • cougie
    Klaus B wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Advantage of discs:

6) and probably more...

Disadvantages:

2) expensive

Paris Nice is in the flat stages so weight isn't important.
    They can ask for whatever frames they want.
    If they're mostly on rim brakes then I'm happy with mine too.
    They aren't seeing the advantages the marketing people are pushing.

I've seen so many questions on here about sorting out disc brakes - they look tricky - whereas I've been using rim brakes for decades with no drama.

If you want discs then that's fine but other options are still available.
  • philbar72
    Vegas76 wrote:
    Also add that you can use carbon wheels with discs on wet roads - not possible with rim brakes.

carbon wheels and rim brakes work fine on wet roads.
  • joe_totale-2
    philbar72 wrote:
    Vegas76 wrote:

Also, how many people actually go out riding in the pouring rain when disc brakes work better?
    Aside from the pros who do it as it's their job, nowadays most people jump on the smart trainer instead.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Joe - I guess there are times when we get caught out, I ride in Snowdonia a lot, so it can be sunny, warm and dry at the start of the ride, 2 hours later it can be absolutely lashing down and blowing a gale.
    But I still agree, I'm fine on my carbon rim brakes (with the correct pads) when this happens.
  • cougie
    Joe Totale wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Vegas76 wrote:

Also, how many people actually go out riding in the pouring rain when disc brakes work better?
    Aside from the pros who do it as it's their job, nowadays most people jump on the smart trainer instead.

If it's my Sunday ride and it's just rain then I'll go out in the rain. On the winter bike with full mudguards and my cantilever brakes that aren't as good as my rim brakes but never given me a problem. I have to justify my expensive rainjacket somehow !
  • Klaus B
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Klaus B wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Advantage of discs:

6) and probably more...

Disadvantages:

2) expensive

1) Better stopping power in the wet, undeniably. In the dry though tire grip is more important.
    2) The significance of rotational mass is overplayed. Anyway, disc wheels need to be stiffer to resist greater braking forces so have more durable hubs and more spokes so are hence heavier overall.
    3) Citation please, can't say I've heard about this myself. Anecdotally I've used tubeless with rim brake wheels for a long time and never had this issue.
    4) Correct - Hence the popularity of disc brakes on gravel/mountain/xc bikes where tire clearance matters.
    5) Citation please, some manufacturers claim rim brakes are more aero, others discs. Parcours for example say that disc wheels have more drag although the difference is small:

https://www.parcours.cc/pages/aerodynamics_disc

A disadvantage you missed is that rim brakes are easier for the home mechanic to maintain and require less specialized equipment to do so. Disc brakes have been brilliant for local bike shops as they've given them loads more work.
    You also missed the awful sound of disc brake squeal in the wet.

1) For me safety first sorry. Disc brakes for me please. If was living in southern Spain I was going for direct mount rim brakes probably.. but in England..no chance.
    2) rotational mass is overplayed.. citation please
    3) fact told me by a cycle mechanic and wheelbuilder that has 40 years of experience in the cycling world, having work with pro team in europe and uk and is still working and building all type of wheels in the bike shop where I work in.
    Maintenance of discs is not rocket science everyone can learn it
  • joe_totale-2
    Klaus B wrote:

Sure, here you go:

http://www.biketechreview.com/reviews/w ... erformance
  • Klaus B
    cougie wrote:
    Klaus B wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Advantage of discs:

6) and probably more...

Disadvantages:

2) expensive

Paris Nice is in the flat stages so weight isn't important.
    They can ask for whatever frames they want.
    If they're mostly on rim brakes then I'm happy with mine too.
    They aren't seeing the advantages the marketing people are pushing.

I've seen so many questions on here about sorting out disc brakes - they look tricky - whereas I've been using rim brakes for decades with no drama.

If you want discs then that's fine but other options are still available.

Like I replied to the other guy that likes rim brakes, for me discs for safety reasons.
    They are superior in England funny weather.
    In a paris-nice that is flat you don't have problem with brakes pro tour rim brakes, especially if it doesn't rain. But the OP is living in North Yorkshire that con be hilly in the surroundings and wet.. in this conditions discs have more stopping power hence they are safer.
    I was happy with my rim brakes too but since I've tried discs I think differently. And I like challenging maintenance :D
  • Klaus B
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Klaus B wrote:

Sure, here you go:

Well if aerodynamic comes first and mass second.. if the aerodynamic is equal the mass pop up in first place again..
  • joe_totale-2
    Klaus B wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Klaus B wrote:

Sure, here you go:

Well if aerodynamic comes first and mass second.. if the aerodynamic is equal the mass pop up in first place again..

"Wheel inertia effects in all cases are so small that they are arguably insignificant"

"Furthermore, the 0.3kg/0.66lb difference in wheels, even if this mass is out at the rim, is so small compared to your body mass that the differences in wheel inertia will be unperceivable"