Potential solution for spam

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
Hello

Would it be possible to give a few people rights to delete spam when the forum gets attacked: naturally no rights to delete any or parts thereof therein of any other threads, just the spam.

Just thinking it would save Josh a job.

One frequent poster who isn't power mad from each area - say Veronese from BB, Bianchimoon from Cake, some dude from Po Face, Pino in General, yada yada.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Most forum software will not be able to differentiate between spammers or regular users, so having the right to delete spam posts will inevitably extend to being able to delete any other posts, whether that is the intention or not.

Apart from BR actually spending money on some decent spam protection (which doesn't look like it's ever going to happen), the only other way is to implement a moderation queue for new posters. This has been suggested several times over the last couple of years. It is absolutely guaranteed to stop first time spammers, but because it actually requires someone to check the moderation queues from time to time, it also looks unlikely to ever happen.

Looks like spammers and persistent/recurring trolls like Nick are now part of the ongoing 'BR forum experience'. If I was BR, I wouldn't want to be cultivating that image, but they seem perfectly happy to let it run...
  • Hello

Would it be possible to give a few people rights to delete spam when the forum gets attacked: naturally no rights to delete any or parts thereof therein of any other threads, just the spam.

Just thinking it would save Josh a job.

One frequent poster who isn't power mad from each area - say Veronese from BB, Bianchimoon from Cake, some dude from Po Face, Pino in General, yada yada.

If you give a moderator power to delete threads, that power can and will be used to delete threads which might be borderline spam... which I believe is the very reason the new publisher decided to revoke that power.

It's not always clear cut black or white, spam or no spam... in the days there was a user who used to sell thousands of pounds worth of near new or new cycling gear in the classifieds... several times we approached him and several times he confirmed that was his own personal stuff... I was and still am skeptical that someone has a couple of pairs of shoes to sell every month, but I don't have grounds to prove anything, have I?

Spam is the same.. .the passport stuff is easy to spot, but other threads are less clear cut
    left the forum March 2023