Cube Aim MTB's how are they?

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Finally, I have narrowed it down to 3 bikes to choose from.

1. https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s776p ... SL_29_2018

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Aim-Race- ... 111260.htm

https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s776p ... _inch_2019

First of all, how are cube aim bikes? my lbs said they are "shit" but I reckoned he was biased cause they don't sell them at the store and instead insisted that I buy a Scott talon 3 or Cannondale trail 6. Which both are just over my budget. I have had before trail 6 before 2015 version really liked no problems. But want something different.

So what do you guys think?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    So what do you want to spend and what do you want the bike for, then you might get some better suggestions.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Looking at the Cannondale trail 6 and this Cube, there doesn't seem to be much different if that's what you are looking for. I bought my Cube Acid 8 years ago and still love it, but this Aim doesn't seem to be any advance on it. Old style gearing, poor fork (I put a Reba on mine after a while), tyres only fit for hardpack ground (so you'll need to change these out for most of the year). I mostly use mine for cross country, not much choice in Essex, but have been to various trail centres, and downhill in France on it, which is is adequate for, but not ideal!
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Good frames but the aim is thier budget hard tail so it has budget parts on it.
    But then it's priced as such too. Nothing wrong with it for the money imo.
  • mattyfez
    Also the carrera kraken is worth a look at £450 as it has the newer XCR air fork, which is a good bonus if you don't mind a bike from Halfords ;)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have a Cube Aim 29er - a few years old now ... 3x8 gearing, hyrdo shimano disc brakes, some sort of fork suspension - nothing flash.

It's fine - I can't say good or bad compared to others because I don't ride others.
    It is fairly heavy - compared to my road bikes.

That's the downside

The upsides
    Hyrdo Disk brakes are excellent (compared to my road rim brakes)
    I can throw it around anything I'm comfortable with
    It's not flash so I'm not worried about it.

Sure - you can get better bikes - more gears, better forks, better tyres, lighter ...
    but - what are you going to do with it? how much MTBing are you intending to do (my use is very little compared to the road bikes) - then what's your budget.

Bear in mind that it's relatively cheap to replace tyres - they're a consumable anyway - although you may want a wheel that is tubeless - so one to think about .
    It's not that hard to replace a fork - but a lot more expensive
    Replacing the groupset is relatively easy too - but obviously only worth it if you value the frame.

If I was going to switch to MTBing then I'd probably look at a much better MTBike - I think even if I start riding more then I may look at changing the stock wheels/tyres as that's usually the biggest gain - but I don't regret getting the Aim - it's a reasonable bike for the money and continues to serve me well.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    There's always a better bike...

You seem to be set on a 29er, and budget appears to be £425 or less. If those are your constraints, broadly it's a case of finding the best fork on a 29er in that category as that is the one component which will be disproportionately expensive to upgrade in relation to the overall cost of the bike and is less likely to simply need swapping out at some point because of damage.

XCT is lowest Suntour fork range, then XCM then XCR. XCR comes in spring and air formats, with air being "better". Alongside the XCR spring you could put I guess the RS XC30 or XC32 as being equivalent or better.

The 2018 Aim SL looks better specced on that front, and is also x9 at the back and has Shimano hydraulics which in my head top the x8 2019 model with Tektro hydros.

Beyond that, you're at a price point that is easy to get confused at, and broadly they'll often be much of a muchness. But rather than upsell yourself a few hundred quid to get an objectively "better" bike (broadly that would be a 1x groupset and an air fork, either a XCR air or Raidon), you've picked out perfectly acceptable options.

OTOH, if you weren't constrained by it being a 29er, Halfords range of 27.5 bikes is good as is Decathlon and GoOutdoors. I don't think Mattyfez is correct that the Kraken comes with the air version of the XCR fork, but I might be wrong (the spec simply says it is XCR, and they come in both flavours). But the Kraken is 1kg lighter than the identically priced Bantu, and you can take £45 off the price of both bikes with a £21.60 British Cycling discount.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Aim is a solid built bike for general riding, will even handle some trails. If you are planning to ride bike parks you will soon want something else though. Have a look at Voodoo Hoodoo or Calibre Two Cubed these roughly in the same price range however overall better suited for more aggressive riding.
  • 90% of my riding will be done on the tarmac. On weekends I will want to hit some off-road trails. Reason for 29er is for bigger wheels and also I will be adding pannier racks when I need to carry a lot of stuff with me especially on weekends.

I used to ride my road bike with a big bag on my back and it wasn't pleasant. Right now my road bike needs some repairs before I can hit the road with it. When I'm riding a road bike I don't want to be carrying anything on my back.

My budget is around the £400 mark. I just want something best bang for my buck :D.
  • Laurynas wrote:
    90% of my riding will be done on the tarmac. On weekends I will want to hit some off-road trails. Reason for 29er is for bigger wheels and also I will be adding pannier racks when I need to carry a lot of stuff with me especially on weekends.

I used to ride my road bike with a big bag on my back and it wasn't pleasant. Right now my road bike needs some repairs before I can hit the road with it. When I'm riding a road bike I don't want to be carrying anything on my back.

My budget is around the £400 mark. I just want something best bang for my buck :D.

Cant go wrong with the Cube for your type of riding.
  • larkim wrote:
    There's always a better bike...

You seem to be set on a 29er, and budget appears to be £425 or less. If those are your constraints, broadly it's a case of finding the best fork on a 29er in that category as that is the one component which will be disproportionately expensive to upgrade in relation to the overall cost of the bike and is less likely to simply need swapping out at some point because of damage.

XCT is lowest Suntour fork range, then XCM then XCR. XCR comes in spring and air formats, with air being "better". Alongside the XCR spring you could put I guess the RS XC30 or XC32 as being equivalent or better.

The 2018 Aim SL looks better specced on that front, and is also x9 at the back and has Shimano hydraulics which in my head top the x8 2019 model with Tektro hydros.

Beyond that, you're at a price point that is easy to get confused at, and broadly they'll often be much of a muchness. But rather than upsell yourself a few hundred quid to get an objectively "better" bike (broadly that would be a 1x groupset and an air fork, either a XCR air or Raidon), you've picked out perfectly acceptable options.

OTOH, if you weren't constrained by it being a 29er, Halfords range of 27.5 bikes is good as is Decathlon and GoOutdoors. I don't think Mattyfez is correct that the Kraken comes with the air version of the XCR fork, but I might be wrong (the spec simply says it is XCR, and they come in both flavours). But the Kraken is 1kg lighter than the identically priced Bantu, and you can take £45 off the price of both bikes with a £21.60 British Cycling discount.

I agree with pretty much this whole post except for the bit about XCT being Suntour's lowest fork range, sadly it isn't there are models below with even thinner stanchions that are seen on some so called mountain bikes often paired with a tourney freewheel based drivetrain. XCT is what Suntour call their entry level cross country fork and it is ok for light duty in that class or for lighter riders. Some bikes have low weight limits like Decathlon with their total load not exceeding 100kg and its fine for those that keep within the stated weight limits. Many of the German brands have a total load of about 115-120kg and again probably passable. Many of the US brands, Halfords brands, Giant and a few others follow the recommendation of the bicycle standard and allow the full 136kg/300lb weight limit for the rider alone with a total load of 160kg. Halfords only rate the rider up to 120kg but a total load of 160kg. I think where you have a rated total load of 160kg an XCT fork definitely isn't fit for purpose with 28mm stanchions unless you are very careful. I would say XCM is the minimum for such bikes. Also worth pointing out that is structural strength. You can still have a XCT fork with non-adjustable damping and hydraulic lockout that might perform better than an XCM fork that is just the minimum with a spring on one side and no damping and no lockout not even mechanical.

There are 2 big deciding factors for mountain bikes in my opinion one is the overall strength of the bike and how much abuse it can take and the other is overall performance. Sometimes you can have both in a bike and sometimes you compromise more of one to get more in the other especially at lower price points. If I was 65kg I would probably look at bikes differently to someone who is 105kg. At 105kg I'm not going to be considering a Btwin rockrider 520 bike as I'd be about 25kg over their rider weight limit, the wheels look fairly basic with only 28 spokes and I'd have no expectation that the bike would be safe for me over the long term.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Fair point about the XCT, I know there are lower grade Suntour forks but they very rarely appear on MTBs that are looked at for serious recommendation here.

Interesting stuff about the weight limits etc.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mattyfez
    Interestingly my old XCM had a yellow warning sticker saying leisure/Cross country only, my newer epixons say cross county /all mountain.
    Both labels said no freeride/DH.
    The epixon is a much better fork, in every aspect but I'd be interested to see what benchmarks they use to differentiate, maybe its simply down to structural strength.
  • mattyfez
    Interesting about spoke count too, I had a custom wheel set built and was thinking may be 28 spokes, but at 95kg even though I'm not a crazy rider by any stretch, they quite strongly suggested I go 32 spokes.
  • mattyfez wrote:
    Interestingly my old XCM had a yellow warning sticker saying leisure/Cross country only, my newer epixons say cross county /all mountain.
    Both labels said no freeride/DH.
    The epixon is a much better fork, in every aspect but I'd be interested to see what benchmarks they use to differentiate, maybe its simply down to structural strength.

Suntour actually make many of the forks for other brands or used to. If you see 'Made in Taiwan' or 'Made in China' or even 'Assembled in USA' could well be manufactured by Suntour even the assembled in USA model as it could actually be assembled from Suntour parts. Suntour makes millions of forks per year both for their own brand and they are a huge OEM manufacturer. I think pretty much structurally strength is down to stanchion diameter so you can assume as a generalisation that a 30mm stanchion is stronger than 28mm and weaker than 32mm especially as the tubing may actually be identical even across different brands. Obviously there are many other parts to the fork but I think stanchion diameter is the most critical. Also bear in mind Suntour keep improving their forks, I think you can get XCM forks with 28, 30 and 32mm stanchions it can vary by year and the model of XCM and the variation of fork. I have some XCR's that are 30mm but I think they are 32mm now.

Looking at the suntour site the only downhill/freeride forks they do are the Rux which are close to a £1,000 and have 38mm stanchions.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/compon ... 22DH,FR%22
  • mattyfez wrote:
    Interesting about spoke count too, I had a custom wheel set built and was thinking may be 28 spokes, but at 95kg even though I'm not a crazy rider by any stretch, they quite strongly suggested I go 32 spokes.

I think at the premium end you can get very decent wheels with low spoke counts but for the generic rims and hubs on the majority of bikes sold it can be pretty much more spokes equals extra strength although many sub £100 bikes have 36 spokes but those are normally laced to very low end single wall rims and would likely be weaker than even 28 spoke wheels laced to double wall rims. Also 26" is stronger than 27.5" and 27.5" is stronger than 29" so probably a 28 spoke 26" wheel could be equal to a 32 spoke 27.5" wheel which could be equal to a 36 spoke 29" wheel, all featuring the same rim quality because the larger the wheel for the same rim thickness the weaker it becomes.