Lezyne GPS, any good?

13»

Comments

• philbar72 wrote:

I had a 200 for a while ( it was really good for my first ever Liege Bastogne Liege). It held up fine but obviously without a ant+ sensor it had limited appeal as a proper training tool. I do recall though that it gave me the fewest headaches of all my devices (before or after).

The idea is that I use a GPS as a GPS, so to follow routes and record tracklogs... I am not involved in the all power and training saga.
    Personally I think outside a racing/training environment it would make sense to have the GPS unit separated form the rest of the shenanigans, as they are there for completely different reasons.

The market seems to be skewed towards the latter demographic
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That was why I chose a Garmin Touring. I'm not interested in anything but following and recording rides, and on paper it seemed the best option at the time. It's still not as good as a satnav or Google Maps for plotting routes on the fly though.

To be fair if you plan a route carefully on the pc and upload it to the device, it will give reliable turn-by-turn directions like a sat-nav. Occasionally it produces a route calculation error and throws up its hands in despair, or randomly shuts itself down mid-ride despite a full battery.

Initially I liked the idea that you can ask it to suggest say a 50 mile circular route, and it will come up with 3 suggestions.
    In practice you need to look at its suggestions very carefully as it has a penchant for suddenly sending you down footpaths or farm tracks with no right of way, or taking a very circuitous option just to take in 500m of a NCN. Same happens if you need to bail mid ride and ask it to route you back home. (Although it did take me past Cycleclinic's place last time that happened, so at least I know where he is now :D )

More annoying is the fact that it relies upon a USB 1 cable connection, so large map updates take forever.

Think if I was choosing today I'd go for a Elemnt, but not use half of its functions
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    philbar72 wrote:

I had a 200 for a while ( it was really good for my first ever Liege Bastogne Liege). It held up fine but obviously without a ant+ sensor it had limited appeal as a proper training tool. I do recall though that it gave me the fewest headaches of all my devices (before or after).

The idea is that I use a GPS as a GPS, so to follow routes and record tracklogs... I am not involved in the all power and training saga.
    Personally I think outside a racing/training environment it would make sense to have the GPS unit separated form the rest of the shenanigans, as they are there for completely different reasons.

The market seems to be skewed towards the latter demographic

Me neither nowadays. just interested in getting the miles in and having fun on the bike.