Ritchey WCS Apex 38mm Carbon Disc

bianchi_dave
bianchi_dave Posts: 847
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Anyone have any experience with these Ritchey wheels? A few good deals on them at present. 38mm deep, 19mm internal and 26mm external width. Not much in the way of reviews unfortunately.
Cheers
Scott Addict RC
Scott Foil Premium
Trek Emonda Disc
Scott Solace 10

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    No experience of these but look a touch heavier than the competition. Why not talk to Mark at Spokesman Wheels who can do some centre lock disc tubeless clincher in 38mm or 50mm rims for cheaper? I went for a pair of his 50mm disc wheels and they've been great.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    No experience of these but look a touch heavier than the competition. Why not talk to Mark at Spokesman Wheels who can do some centre lock disc tubeless clincher in 38mm or 50mm rims for cheaper? I went for a pair of his 50mm disc wheels and they've been great.

How much did you pay at Spokesman? (pm if you prefer)

If going hand built I'd likely use Wheelsmith. I've a set of his carbon rim clinchers on Hope hubs on the Foil and they are great wheels. Just considering options at the mo, saw the Ritchey's are at a fair discount, hence the question. There isn't much in the way of reviews.

The new Prime Black Editions at Wiggle/CRC were great value last week, reduced to £649. Up slightly to £699 this week but still less then their rrp, which I certainly wouldn't pay ahead of handbuilts (or anything else for that matter).
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Luv2ride wrote:

How much did you pay at Spokesman? (pm if you prefer)

If going hand built I'd likely use Wheelsmith. I've a set of his carbon rim clinchers on Hope hubs on the Foil and they are great wheels. Just considering options at the mo, saw the Ritchey's are at a fair discount, hence the question. There isn't much in the way of reviews.

The new Prime Black Editions at Wiggle/CRC were great value last week, reduced to £649. Up slightly to £699 this week but still less then their rrp, which I certainly wouldn't pay ahead of handbuilts (or anything else for that matter).

Think was under £650, with 24h Bitex disc hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes, etc. Hope hubs were an option but more expensive. I was also going to go for the Primes Black Edition but a) they weren't discounted much at the time and b) the opportunity to discuss requirements with Mark the builder cinched it for me. If I was ordering now I might go for 38mm front and 50mm rear, but Mark and I agreed for the riding i do I'd be better going for a pair of 50's. Point being there was no pressure from his side at all, happy either way and left me to make my decision. TBF, they've been pretty well behaved in cross winds. Turnaround was quick too, as he had the stuff in stock. Though they were bought for nice days as "best wheels" I haven't taken them off since they arrived in Oct and ridden them in pretty dreary and blustery conditions...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Thanks Luv2ride. they sound good. I'm struggling to justify anything too expensive (to myself and the other half), being for the 2nd bike and all.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10