Anyone fancy riding up this?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited January 2019 in Commuting chat

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• SecretSam wrote:

Shouldn't be too bad down really, I have been up and down it many years ago, I think I walked it but possibly drove either way its very steep but very short equally, not even 1/4 of a mile

https://www.strava.com/segments/6670845

Thats not to say it isn't steep it is, but should be quite rideable down at least, up does require a fair bit of torque or suitable gearing.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    SecretSam wrote:

Shouldn't be too bad down really, I have been up and down it many years ago, I think I walked it but possibly drove either way its very steep but very short equally, not even 1/4 of a mile

Thats not to say it isn't steep it is, but should be quite rideable down at least, up does require a fair bit of torque or suitable gearing.

Id be dragging on the brakes down that the whole way, which would probably be a really bad way to get down it, but just wouldnt have the confidence to let it have any free run, as much as I hate hills,given the choice, up would be preferable even if more painful
  • awavey wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Id be dragging on the brakes down that the whole way, which would probably be a really bad way to get down it, but just wouldnt have the confidence to let it have any free run, as much as I hate hills,given the choice, up would be preferable even if more painful

if hills are sufficiently steep, you'll find that, unless they are dead straight you'll be on the brakes, round my folks have a few hills that are in the high teens on average, yes you'll be on the brakes on the 20/30% ramps but no hill is that steep for that long, and rather than braking all the time, I tend to brake for the corners or what not to let the brakes cool. though a 1/4 mile hill is 1/2 mins so just dragging the brakes though not best practice is not likely to cause any problems.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    It's a one way street in the down direction, so riding up it legally would be a bit of a challenge!

The only problem with hills this steep is that it doesn't take much for the front wheel to start lifting off the ground, which is pretty unnerving. Not sure what the best technique for avoiding this would be. I've had this problem on Succombs Hill near Caterham, and that's 'only' 25%
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • Rhodrich wrote:
    The only problem with hills this steep is that it doesn't take much for the front wheel to start lifting off the ground, which is pretty unnerving. Not sure what the best technique for avoiding this would be. I've had this problem on Succombs Hill near Caterham, and that's 'only' 25%

Its about weight distribution. You have to keep the body over the front wheel more rather than sitting back and upright in the saddle. When I first starting riding MTB I had that problem all the time with the low gearing. Now the forward lean to compensate is so automatic I don't even think about it. ;)

Not sure about a road bike though although with my current gearing any long 25%+ drag would have me walking. :oops:

Mike
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i've ridden that Welsh one unexpectedly i might add

ah no its was another one very simpler not that far away
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    This is FFord Pen LLech right? This is in Simon Warren's 100 Cycling Climbs which I did a few years ago as part of my trying to do the whole book in the year: http://100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com/2 ... llech.html

It is one way only and you have to ride the wrong way to go up it and it is VERY steep - but it is not impossible. In fact, weirdly enough, it wasn't the hardest climb of the 100 - that was the climb I did beforehand Bwlch Y Groes - as it is so short and sharp. You're almost up it before the pain deadens your legs. In fact, I even managed to track stand the first time up it to let a car past. There's some video on the link of the climb too. Bit shakey.

Mind you - I tried to ride down it - and bottled it. Walked down. Too steep to ride DOWN!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You could probably zig zag down it, so long as it was safe to do so.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Used to ride this is a teenager (with a 3 speed Sturmey hub gear) with a >40% grade (According to Strava anyway - not sure its actually quite that steep to be honest but it's well over 30%) in the middle it was hard work (it was quicker to walk up than ride to be honest).

https://www.strava.com/segments/702630
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I visited Salzburg last month and it had been snowing on and off for a few weeks so the pavements had a well packed ice layer, going into town meant walking over the big hill, even with a handrail walking down either side was deadly i'm not sure what gradient it was but i am sure in the UK it would have had steps.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    elbowloh wrote:
    You could probably zig zag down it, so long as it was safe to do so.

Road is pretty narrow mate. Not a lot of zig zag room!