Rockrider 520 for teenager

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited November 2018 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at the Rockrider 520 for my son. Sizing wise the M is technically too big for him he's 160 cm tall and the size M is recommended from 165 cm. I'm buying it with the ideal of him growing into it! Any thoughts on the sizing or even bike choice etc? I will probably get a 40mm stem to size it down a bit.
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• Really, the best way to know if the bike fits your son, is for him to try it
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Kids can ride bigger bikes, we all can. Doesn't mean that they (or we) should. :)

I guess it's a matter of degree. My 11-year old grandson isn't 5' tall yet, but he says that he "loves" riding my bikes, both set up for my 6'1" height. He really really wants to take my Whyte T130 around our local trail centre. But the answer is no, we have different sizes for a reason. There is a big difference between riding on the street outside and riding off-piste at the local trail centre. He can stick with his XS bike for now that is (in theory) a fraction too big for him as he only has 1" of seat post showing. But he rides it like lightning and in a few years I will be outclassed, of that I'm certain! :lol: . Right now, a dropper post for him would be a waste of time as he couldn't deploy it!

My opinion for what it's worth is that you should get the best bike, that you can afford, that fits the child right now. They are riding it right now and need the buzz. Compare the bike weight as a fraction of their weight and do the same calculation for you. Then compare you with him and ask yourself, "would I ride a bike that heavy?" When it gets too small, sell it and buy a bigger one. The answer is to go second hand. There are some great bikes out there for not much money. Lots of Dads and Grandads all looking to do the same as you. :)

Just don't go down the full suss route yet, they are too heavy! :shock:
  • kirkee
    Thanks for the replies. Not considering a full suss, just a fairly decent hardtail. I can't see i f the 520 will fit him as we don't live near a Decathlon store. Considered Halfords but the spec of the Rockrider seems to match similar specced Carrara s that are more expensive. I'm keeping an eye out for 2nd hand
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kirkee
    Went with a Calibre 2 cubed, good spec £320, hidden till Christmas!