Getting fit and healthy for free best apps

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited September 2018 in Training, fitness and health
Hi,
Up to about 2 years ago, whilst I didn't really watch what I was eating, I was a bit more active as commuted to work each day, however, since changing jobs and no longer able to commute by bike, the only bit of activity I do, other than walking a bit with the dog or running round after the kids, is help coach a junior rugby team, 90 mins on Sundays during the season, but as coach I'm not really moving, unless I'm refereeing a game, (8 mins each way x2) As such I've put on some weight, which I've decided to do something about.

I'm male 36, aprox 166cm tall, weighing 87KG (down from 95KG last week) according to BMI charts I should be around 65KG I've always had a big belly even as a kid when I was super fit (rugby, gym, circuit training, boxercise, PE hill running) gym became pub as I hit my 20s and screwed my lungs up with heavy smoking but stopped smoking at least in my late 20s (but has probably reduced my vo2 and done long term damage)

So last week I've started eating more healthy replaced white refined with brown wholegrain, squash instead of fizzy or beer, green tea instead of coffee with sugar, even more fruit than junk and eating muesli instead of skipping breakfast. I'm consuming about 1500 calories a day.

My goals are to get fit so I can enjoy activities more, like bike rides and refereeing rugby games or even start playing again.OK I know exercising doesn't get easier, you just get quicker or go longer/further as your body adapts and gets more efficient :)

I have being jogging 15 mins each day, about 7km with the dog and with some intermittent intervals and a bit of strengthening/conditioning, push up sit ups ect. I did a 30 mins swim and then a further 30 min slower with rests swim. We've just started back after the season break coaching an U11 team that my lad plays in and started looking at refereeing senior games and have my first 80 mins game this Saturday which I'm a bit worried about not just fitness but also reffing, again would like to get better at this which will come with practice.
As I sold my road bike I am also borrowing a mountain bike and been riding a bit too.
So far so good feel better already, enjoying it and feel have more energy, the more I do the more I want to do.
Anyway I have a smart phone and have treated myself to a phone armband as I usually don't have pockets and family want to be able to contact me when out and some bluetooth earphones so looking for some structured coaching and music to push me more. I'm not into buying apps, monthly subscriptions (not even gym only cheap phone contract) or social media per-sa I've never had facebook or twitter for example. I don't have Strava doesn't really interest me I'd prefer either ghost or VR
Is there one free app that would would not only track my performance (not got a HRM chest strap yet I have a cheap fit bracelet with wrist HRM but doesn't always work I would like to have the HR zones set up or at least know them) but also coach and give me challenges as well as track what food I have or should be eating?
I started using Coach to 5K but as didn't have headphones it didn't really work as well as I could just jog the 5k anyway, Nike+ or the zombierun looks interesting but again not sure if would have pay and whether there's any coaching or music or would I have to have several apps running?
Basically I want more structured coaching plan and something to help keep me motivated, so I don't get bored and that can do multiple activities like run, cycle and conditioning at home to get use out of the ear phones.
Thanks for reading and any advice/help be much appreciated.
Thanks
Andy

Comments

• Not one app that does all of this. Log your food (and drink) intake on MyFitnessPal and you can program in a goal weight at the end of it.

As this is a Road Cycling forum, I'd also suggest getting back on the bike and clocking up as many miles a week you can (or do high intensity hour sessions at a gym on a bike/treadmill). Strava you can also log runs, paddle boarding, whatever fitness activity with estimated calorie burn.
  • AndyH01 wrote:

I'm male 36, aprox 166cm tall, weighing 87KG (down from 95KG last week)

Id seek urgent medical advise if you've lost 8kg in a week.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles