Belgium 4 day tour

jaylfc147
jaylfc147 Posts: 49
edited December 2018 in Tour & expedition
Hi all

Just after a bit of advice for an upcoming DIY cycling trip to Belgium.

I've booked the ferry and have 4 days of cycling in October and my friend who doesn't ride a lot wants to limit the days riding to around 50 miles.

My plan at the moment is:

Day 1 ride from Zeebrugge to Ypres
Day 2 Ride Ypres to Oudenarde
Day 3 Ride Odenarde to Ghent
Day 4 Back to Zeebrugge via Bruges

I've not been to any of these places other than Oudenarde and if anyone can advise on any really nice places to visit (especially for Belgium Beer) in these areas then I would be very thankful.

Thanks in advance

James

Comments

• mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Bruges: You'll want to spend a day there. I love the place.

Beer: The 'Cambrinus' has a small selection of over 400 beers. They give you a folder to choose from and its about 2" thick.
    Accom: I stay in the Hostel Snuffel, about £20 a night and the shared rooms are clean and have small secure lockers.
    Food: Two doors down from the Hostel is 'Ribs 'n' Beer. £15 get you unlimited ribs and they are great. the beers about £4 a pint. Although the exchange rate is less now, so will be more.

I've been twice and although its a small town, i've still to explore places.

Are you going via roubaix on the way to Odenarde?

I take it Ypres is for the military aspect?

Bear in mind that you'll likely need waterproofs and 50 miles should be easy enough as theres not many hills and certainly no massive climbs, just cut the pace a little and stop every couple of hours to fuel up. Roads are great in comparison to the UK, drivers give you plenty of space and there's lots of cycle paths that are well maintained(use them when they are there).
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Hey, i appreciate this is really late but how did you get on?

I did something similar in May this year, Epsom (SW of London) to Dover, then across to Dunkirk, Oudenaarde and then on to the Waterloo battlefield for a tour. Three days away and it was great fun although being Belgium we had sun, wind & rain, often on the same day.

I have also ridden to Brugge in previous years and can confirm that Ribs n Beer dot com is indeed a wonderful place to refuel after a long day in the saddle (we had ridden 250km to get there in one day and I think we surprised them with how many racks of ribs the three of us put away).

Strava routes, videos, travel arrangements, hotel recommendations etc. available if you want.

I've ridden in Belgium a number of times now and it's always enjoyable.
    FCN = 4