job timings

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited September 2018 in Workshop
in other walks of life such are service on cars or planes there is frequently an alloted method and time for for completing a job. (assuming an appropriately trained technician with the right tools and materials) is this the same for bike technicians? Do shop managers have a set number of tasks they need to work through? This might be easy to gauge if the job is to "build" bikes as they arrive from a manufacturer

eg unbox, check for damage, final assembly, check brakes headset and gears work, pump up tyres. 20 mins (maybe less given the mess i've seen from some places)

Less easy with a stream of different jobs trickling in which might be more than a simple job.

The reason i ask is i'm surprised at how much of my lunch hour ive just spent on what i thought was a "ten minute job"

I had to change wheels which includes the following

1 put bike in stand
2 remove wheels
3 take cassette from wheel one and fit to wheel 2 (im experimenting with chain and cassette life so not mixing)
4 remove brake blocks for alloy rims
5 replace with carbon specific pads
6 put wheel back in
7 dial out the pads and adjust to reflect much wider rims in wheel 2
8 Check gears working properly still
9 (heres where my timings went awry) notice that the wheel is a little out of true, theres very little clearance so the wheel should be as true as possible
10 remove wheel
11 sit in jig get spoke keys and adjust
12 re fit to bike check gear and brake alignment
13 pump up tyres
14 take bike down and tidy up

HALF AN HOUR i don't really mind since i enjoy the maintenance stuff and i wasn't messing about but i can see how bike shops charge such high fees. Or am i just a slow coach.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Depends how spotless you want the cassette before re-fitting to the new wheel.
    Also depends how seized the spoke nipples are on the wheel you are truing.
    30 minutes implies you encountered no major difficulties :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I think that's about right to be fair.

I did similar the other night but included switching tyres out which meant removing 4 tyres and fitting four tyres which somehow added 45 mins to your half hour for a similar job. I hate changing tyres!
  • Svetty wrote:
    Depends how spotless you want the cassette before re-fitting to the new wheel.
    Also depends how seized the spoke nipples are on the wheel you are truing.
    30 minutes implies you encountered no major difficulties :)

Ahh well, i keep on top of stuff so cassettes are always clean, in fairness there are no major difficulties in that job barring seized spokes.

hmmm maybe i am ocd LOLOL
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    I think that's about right to be fair.

I did similar the other night but included switching tyres out which meant removing 4 tyres and fitting four tyres which somehow added 45 mins to your half hour for a similar job. I hate changing tyres!

Dont apply for a job in the pits!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It’s just taken me a hour to replace my bar tape and it will probably have come undone by now :evil:
  • it takes me about that long to dirty it :(