The Fleet - Colnago Master, Dream, CLX3.0, winter hack and Giant Trinity TT

2»

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Nice wheels ;-)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I still love the 1st one .... I would be happy just owning that Tarmac and nothing else .... well other than the 5 I already have ... but hey, they all get used
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Both a good and a bad update.

First the bad, I'm gutted to be posting this but yesterday I discovered a crack on the seat stay of my Master. It's 3/4 around the stay so it's a pretty wall ornament at present. Thinking over my options but repair is going to be expensive and will it ever be the same?

I also said the next bike I buy will be Pegoretti or perhaps a Stelbel.

I really am truly gutted and upset about it.

61AE0D3B-B784-49A8-8505-81EBF9707543.jpg

1A9A73E7-7D97-4590-83B6-53C0BE31D974.jpg

807B142A-68D5-4A37-8974-229C20684C94.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • matt_n-2
    Next up the good.

This was in the LBS anyway having some work done but upon the discovery yesterday I also elected to drop the carbon Flash fork out the Master and get it on the Dream.

I did actually track down a Time carbon for Colnago fork in Rabobank colours that I was going to get re painted but for now this works.

So, I sold the Tarmac before Chritmas and bought a few carbon goodies; 303 tubulars, Deda Superzero post and Arundel cage. Then a Deda 100 stem and obviously the Flash fork. All in those bits saved around 600g but hopefully has improved comfort a bit more than the all alloy frame, fork and finishing kit. Anyway pics.

FE5FDBA4-3E5B-4CDF-8B6D-D04BB5D4C21A.jpg

8279A7DE-21DF-475A-8C78-0CF3F7B244E6.jpg

22A5FC38-4A97-4095-BB3E-D3BC13B2B911.jpg

B18D3093-D326-4072-BB4D-0A98D83AAF74.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • Sorry to see the seatstay on your Master. A relief you spotted it, rather than it failing during a ride.
    I would have thought a seat stay is one of the easiest tubes to replace (by Mercian, Enigma, Rourke etc). Whilst a repair will reduce value, it may be that on a Master the expense may well be worth it to get it back on the road. re-paint wise - you could just paint the rear end all black and that would blend and not lookout of place.

Pegoretti is a good box to tick. I had a Marcelo for a couple of years and enjoyed it. I currently have a De Rosa Corum which feels very similar. Sacrilegious, perhaps, but neither felt/ feel anything like as nice (or as quick) as my C40.

Good to see the Dream getting some extra love.

Enjoy,

David
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Matt_N wrote:
    Next up the good.

This was in the LBS anyway having some work done but upon the discovery yesterday I also elected to drop the carbon Flash fork out the Master and get it on the Dream.

I did actually track down a Time carbon for Colnago fork in Rabobank colours that I was going to get re painted but for now this works.

So, I sold the Tarmac before Chritmas and bought a few carbon goodies; 303 tubulars, Deda Superzero post and Arundel cage. Then a Deda 100 stem and obviously the Flash fork. All in those bits saved around 600g but hopefully has improved comfort a bit more than the all alloy frame, fork and finishing kit. Anyway pics.

FE5FDBA4-3E5B-4CDF-8B6D-D04BB5D4C21A.jpg

8279A7DE-21DF-475A-8C78-0CF3F7B244E6.jpg

22A5FC38-4A97-4095-BB3E-D3BC13B2B911.jpg

B18D3093-D326-4072-BB4D-0A98D83AAF74.jpg

That is lovely - nicest one I've seen: I think it's the retro mod that's done it for me. Very good work.

Almost (I say almost) inspired me to finish Dirk........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • matt_n-2
    Thanks for the nice comments, yeh I've tried to strike a balance between old and new, somehow the newer stuff seems to suit the Dream well.

Regarding the Master I've approached a few places about repair and paint, one being very well recommended in Croatia so I'm weighing it up at the moment.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    A frien snapped a chainstay on his Master and I think he sent it back to Colnago to be fixed. Doubt it was cheap though.
  • Matthewfalle
    You couldn't rotate the bars down just a tiny smudge for me could you please.

It's still bleedin' lovely.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • matt_n-2
    You couldn't rotate the bars down just a tiny smudge for me could you please.

It's still bleedin' lovely.

I know what you're saying and it's the same as my LBS who are passionate about Colnago's and Campag too but I prefer a flat transition from tops to hoods.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • matt_n-2
    I've been an obsessive eBay and classifieds monitor over the last weeks looking for a replacement for the Master, ever ready to jump on a bargain and last night made a purchase.

It's on it's way from Italy and should be built up by the end of next week I reckon.

If I were an inch or two shorter the options would've been vastly more, seems to be so many more 52s around than 54s, but hey ho, I've got something on the way now.

It's not the be all and end all frameset I quite wanted but it should give me a nice introduction to carbon Colnago's and steer me towards any future decisions about the 40th birthday present bike I intend on buying.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • matt_n-2
    Build day tomorrow

779F6D2F-9C75-41B3-8E31-8F801DB2B6FD.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • cossington
    cossington Posts: 36
    That is a pretty big step forward in terms of frame technology and design (different material, tube shapes, semi integrated headset, larger head tube etc etc). I will be very interested to hear how it compares with the Dream (and your late Master).
    Did you get that from '1bike4all'? I have been watching the later Carbon frame availability from Italy, too; thinking of an EPS or a C59, when one comes up in my size, at the right price (currently happy with my custom painted C40 and my titanium Ovalmaster for winter duty).
    Looking forward to the build - are you transferring the groupset and finishing kit from the Master?

Enjoy,

David
  • matt_n-2
    Ideally an EPS or C59 would be gracing my presence right now too but they're currently a bit rich for me.

There was a stunning 54s EPS on eBay a few weeks ago that went for just over £1k, a good price really.

I'm very keen to ride this, the combination of monocoque front and lugged rear is of particular interest, if it matches up to the reviews then it should ride very nicely indeed and be true to Colnago.

Build will be Chorus 11 from the Master yes, Deda 100 stem and bars, Archetype on DT240 wheels with the option of the Zipps should I ever want to drop them in.

Came from a seller called 'fabiozen' - can't fault them. Arrived within 4 days, loads of pipe lagging on the tubes and the box filled with bubble wrap, it's pretty immaculate.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • matt_n-2
    Built last night and ready to rock.

Colnago CLX 3.0 with aero seat post
    Chorus 11
    Archetypes on DT240 with CX Ray
    Vittoria Open Corsa 25mm
    Deda 100 stem and bars
    Romin Pro
    S works HD tape
    Speedplay stainless
    7.6kg so not exactly a weight weenie but not too shabby.

F18465DC-4D2B-4A9E-A842-A6ACFFAC7682.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Love that.
  • matt_n-2
    Some more pics:

C0EFF12B-98ED-4CB4-9D5E-BCF119E7DA74.jpg

58695605-CCE0-4A83-8D78-B2C2347F779D.jpg

5C29BCD2-60C1-4FC1-A0FB-03BB18AF1122.jpg

7129AEB2-9EA4-4273-8CAF-B1B6AA614B4D.jpg

2A651FC0-CA32-450C-93BE-9E520EF70AF6.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • matt_n-2
    edited May 2018
    Seeing as PB is back up and running, here's the CLX with its new shoes on - FFWD F6R tubular with Corsa G+, went over to Treorchy yesterday and tackled the Blwch, Rhigos then Blwch from the Cimla side.

2FD8E8D2-745B-4CA4-B65E-6C966DE71C9B.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • Matthewfalle
    Matt_N wrote:
    Seeing as PB is back up and running, here's the CLX with its new shoes on, went over to Treorchy yesterday and tackled the Blwch, Rhigos then Blwch from the Cimla side.

2FD8E8D2-745B-4CA4-B65E-6C966DE71C9B.jpg

That's proper lush, see, with those deep rims and tan walls on it. Never take them off.

Het.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • matt_n-2
    Tan walls (Corsa SC) on the clinchers too, here at St Briavels:

CD46D650-043D-4FC7-A6DB-CE287ADF6B03.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Like it. There's a white c59 in your size on eBay as well!
  • matt_n-2
    Like it. There's a white c59 in your size on eBay as well!

The Italia with Dura Ace?

There's also a 54s C59 NERO.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Indeed. I have the exact same frame and colour with zipps and ultegra. (search this forum for TSIT which is the name of the colourway)

28361613988_99fdde93f5_z.jpg

Oddly they just don't come up often at all. I still think the asking price is about 3-400 too much though.
  • matt_n-2
    Indeed. I have the exact same frame and colour with zipps and ultegra. (search this forum for TSIT which is the name of the colourway)

28361613988_99fdde93f5_z.jpg

Oddly they just don't come up often at all. I still think the asking price is about 3-400 too much though.

I've seen your bike on WW and here, I remember the talk about Traditional v Sloping its size.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • matt_n-2
    Not sure why but I ordered this last week, just in time for TT season to end!

One more local 10 left next week so it's just been set up by my mate.

Giant Trinity Advanced with 5800 and other bits groupo, TRP brakes, Giant Contact base bar and extensions and my FFWD F6R (850g lighter than the Giant wheels it had on it :lol: )

202C74E7-909F-41BB-99D9-F51A6FC0E6BE.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced