Axle Shields - How necessary are they?

radhartgeorge
radhartgeorge Posts: 37
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Building up a Trek Speed Concept and this is the first time I have the pleasure of press fit bearings having previously stuck to Hollowtech or GXP. The assembly instructions refer to an axle shield - essentially a two-piece nylon sleeve through which the axle slides. My problem is that I do not have one of these and I can't seem to locate one other than if I purchase an entirely new BB set - which I am keen to avoid as I have the bearings and seals already.

So... how essential is the axle shield? What exactly is it's function? Dust cover? Cover to prevent any cables/Di2 wires touching the axle?

In short, is there anyone out there that has left this out and lived to tell the tale or indeed recommends leaving it out for some reason?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I'd ask a trek dealer with experience. i.e. one that regularly does custom high end builds / supports a race team.

failing that, and in the spirit of "its only a bike not rocket science" Id be tempted to just crack on without but make sure theres no cable interferance just in case. You should be able to see that pretty clearly.

Alternately ask your local trek dealer to order some?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I would get a Fairy liquid bottle and just cut to size.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The plastic tube generally prevents the water that gets into the frame from trickling along from the BB shell into the bearings and/or the crank spindle:inner race interface.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D