Rear mech inner cable replacement

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited August 2018 in Workshop
I have a Ribble Gran Fondo with Shimano 105 groupset which I bought new 4 years ago and have covered only 4000 miles during that time. Having had a rear mech cable brake in a shifter in the past I decided to replace the inner cable. Removed the bar tape, releaed the cable at the rear mech and pushed it through so that it came out of the shifter. After inspecting it, the cable looked in very good condition, so instead of switching it for a new one, I cleaned and relubed it and put it back in position. I couldn't see the point in replacing it if it looked as good as new. Is this okay or should I have put a new one in anyway?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If it looked good to you at the time then fine. We, MF included, cannot comment on the serviceability or otherwise a cable through anenecdotal evidence alone.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Why replace a perfectly good cable?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Being of a Yorkshire persuasion I generally* only replace stuff that's broken or worn out. You should rejoice in the fact your 105 shifters aren't eating cables as frequently as mine

*Although I did just take the opportunity to treat the best bike to new white cables and bar tape when I fitted some better shaped bars. Cables not strictly necessary but it does look nice, and the fit is now perfect!