Cycling and skin cancer (again)

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,768
edited July 2018 in Road general
I know it's been discussed on here before but the article on the website has got me thinking.

I slap on sun screen but like most cyclists my arms, legs, neck and face get pretty tanned. My kids laugh at how brown the back of my neck is but I can't imagine cycling with a scarf in summer like the guy in the article - though obviously a melanoma scare would have me wearing full body cover.

Anyone tried one of these mineral sunscreens mentioned in the article?

Anyone used the arm sun protector things and are they really cool in hot weather - I run fairly hot and sweat lots.

Is a cap more protective than a helmet and are road cyclists going start using helmets with peaks, I even googled a cycling cap with material to cover the neck...no like most I wouldn't be seen dead in it but it probably makes sense.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Gavinus
    Gavinus Posts: 14
    I think the 'mineral' part of the sunscreens is American terminology (I'm from the UK) and just refers to the fact that it uses Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide instead of other UV absorbing / resistant chemicals. I make sure my sunscreen contains these two ingredients anyway.

I've used the rapha arm screens (in white) and found them to be comfortable and effective even in temperatures over 40C. Since they use a thin fabric and fit tight they just suck the sweat up and it evaporates off giving a cooling effect. This also allows for dousing cold water on them if it gets really hot. These are really good for brevets / touring since they can be left on since they do give a slight warming effect in cooler temperatures (not cold).

I haven't seen anything for the legs that seem as good.

Caps are more effective than helmets since they don't have any vents. Just ask any bald rider who forgets to reapply sunscreen. I personally find that a cap worn pointing forwards obstructs my vision, if you wear it facing backwards it can give you neck protection or you can wear a buff in such a way to cover the scalp and neck.

For the face it is difficult to say what is best since a lot of helmets have quite thick foam on the forehead area and when combined with a head down position not much of your face is exposed to direct sunlight. I just carry a small tube or sunscreen stick and reapply making sure to get the ears as well.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,100
    Is a cap more protective than a helmet and are road cyclists going start using helmets with peaks, I even googled a cycling cap with material to cover the neck...no like most I wouldn't be seen dead in it but it probably makes sense.
    I wear my cap backwards under my helmet when worried about sunburn on my neck 11:00-15:00.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It’s well worth covering up and slapping on sun screen. A good friend of mine died from melanoma. She was in her early 40s, Irish with dark brown hair and pale skin. She never sun bathed and always wore a hat etc in the sun. She left a husband and two young children and was a brilliant academic.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Arm screens, cap and 3/4 knicks - just regular lycra like normal shorts and not Roubaix material.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,519
    Bought 50+ sunblock for babies for sportive I was doing today. Left it on kitchen table. Had to resort to thin arm warmers I packed just to keep sun off! Bloody hot it was! Was kicking myself about it all ride.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Can thoroughly recommend the ISDIN fotoprotector range. The sport version is suitable for high levels of sweat. Came across them in Spain and I order via Amazon. Skin cancer runs in my family so not taking any chances.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    If possible, trying to schedule your riding to avoid the two or three hours around midday on days when it's fully sunny is a good approach. I'm not a morning person and at this time of year when it's light until 10pm I prefer to ride in the late afternoon / evening. Roads are also quieter than in the early / mid-afternoon, especially after 8pm.

One of the best things you can do to mitigate the risks from melanoma is just being extremely vigilant about any new moles or ones that change in any way. If you notice one that looks a bit weird or you haven't been aware of before, monitor it obsessively and if it's not completely stable over the space of a few weeks go straight to the doctor. Melanoma is nearly always visible on the skin and nearly always curable in the early stages.

If you need an incentive to be continually aware of the risk, this scared the living daylights out of me..
    https://www.behance.net/gallery/3707627 ... a-Monsters
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I have had a large piece cut off my ear and 4cm long incision near one clavicle and two excision biopsies off my forehead and my forearms have visible sun damage.. So yes, I would say cover up and use factor 50. Long sleeves and covering up are the first choice.

In the '60s I went to a mountaineering shop to get the very latest sun-block for a trip to the corsican ridgeway. Factor 5 it was, and expensive . My pale skin got fried to the extent that I felt quite ill, but shorts were compulsory.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    I haven't tried the UV protective/cooling clothing but I am certainly interested and keen to find out more.

This year I had to have a Basel Cell Carcinoma removed from the right side of my nose. It was to the eye, tiny. Three, maybe 4mm at worst. The surgeon said that any larger and I'd need a skin graft. Anyway, it was removed and I got seven stitches and a nifty scar for my troubles.

Needless to say, I wear Factor 50+ and reapply regularly.
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Ex cricketer here so spent all my time in the sun for the best part of 4 years (summer and winter) and then played semi-pron until 2015.

I've always work factor 50 for decades and never bother with anything else. Same for the family too - it's not worth it and know too many people I've played with / against over the years have skin cancer. Quite a few fatalities as well.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Being ginger and cycling in Tenerife, I couldn't recommend P20 suncream enough. Apply once in the morning and you are protected all day, doesn't wash off and comes in various factors. I take no chances and go for 30 or 50
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,100
    HaydenM wrote:
    Being ginger and cycling in Tenerife, I couldn't recommend P20 suncream enough. Apply once in the morning and you are protected all day, doesn't wash off and comes in various factors. I take no chances and go for 30 or 50
    Wot he said...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    HaydenM wrote:

Same (apart from not ginger) why anyone wouldn't just use P20 which works so incredibly well is beyond me. Also if you have no hair (like me) Castelli summer skully far more comfortable than a cap.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    We have used P20 for 30years and it is the business.

BUT it stains some clothing and furniture brown in a way that doesn't wash out. Even after all this time i cannot predict what cloth will be affected, so just don't wear nice things or sit down until well showered.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I always use p20, it just works,
    Rapha arm screens are great but they aren’t as cooling as bare arms. They aren’t far off though. Plus their fly weight top is uv rated on the back, to be honest I think all their pro team jerseys do a good job of blocking the sun. Buff do uv rated versions which are good for Head/neck protection.