New rear wheel recommendations

stevenmew
stevenmew Posts: 14
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've been getting into cycling over the last couple of years on my btwin triban 520 and have put in a lot of mileage on it as I commute on it as well. Until now I haven't had a problem upgrading things when they break or wear out however I'm going through a phase where spokes on my back wheel keep breaking (I think 6 or 7 have gone over the last 2 months) and so I've been advised to just buy a new rear wheel. Do you think this is necessary? Has the wheel gone past some point where it's just easier to replace the whole thing rather than keep replacing the spokes?

Also if I am going to be buying a new wheel I wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I've recently got a new job so would love to buy myself a new bike soon and have the triban as a winter commuter. Is it worth spending more money on a wheel at this point? Maybe buy something I can transfer to the new bike or shall I just buy as cheap as possible?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Steve

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Spokes fail through fatigue. So either get you wheel rebuild with new spokes properly or get a new wheel unless you like riding with a spoke missing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • See if you can get a Mavic Aksium cheap. Should be wallet friendly, bulletproof and roll better.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Got someone that kept breaking spokes. Their problem was their weight. He needed to switch to 32 spokes and hasn't suffered any spoke problems since.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As above - Aksium. Really strong, light-ish, look cool.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.