Best value wheelset for £200-250

WaterfallT
WaterfallT Posts: 7
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade the stock wheels on my Cervelo R3 this summer from the Shimano RS500's it came with. I don't want to spend a fortune so looking to cap it at between £200-250. Still hoping I'll notice a reasonable improvement at this price as the stock wheels aren't that great and it seems a shame to have such cheap wheels on such a nice frame (that is way too good for me!).

Probably worth pointing out that I'm a very light rider (60kg), I don't race the bike and I just use it for going out on 40-60 mile loops with my friends (also doing a 100mile sportive at the end of August).

What would you go for at that price? I've seen Prime Road Races, Fulcrum Racing Quattro LGs, Fulcrum Racing 5s, Pro-lite brachhianos etc. mentioned but do any of these (or any others) really stand out at this price point?

Thanks!

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Fulcrum quattro LG.
    Absolutely brilliant vfm.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    WaterfallT wrote:
    Hi all,

Looking to upgrade the stock wheels on my Cervelo R3 this summer from the Shimano RS500's it came with. I don't want to spend a fortune so looking to cap it at between £200-250. Still hoping I'll notice a reasonable improvement at this price as the stock wheels aren't that great and it seems a shame to have such cheap wheels on such a nice frame (that is way too good for me!).

Probably worth pointing out that I'm a very light rider (60kg), I don't race the bike and I just use it for going out on 40-60 mile loops with my friends (also doing a 100mile sportive at the end of August).

What would you go for at that price? I've seen Prime Road Races, Fulcrum Racing Quattro LGs, Fulcrum Racing 5s, Pro-lite brachhianos etc. mentioned but do any of these (or any others) really stand out at this price point?

Thanks!

I have been disappointed with my Quattros. The mid- deep section seems to amplify road noise, and the rear bearings loosen all the time. The preload adjustment system is easy, but I’ve had to retighten every couple of rides, from new.
  • redvision
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I have been disappointed with my Quattros. The mid- deep section seems to amplify road noise, and the rear bearings loosen all the time. The preload adjustment system is easy, but I’ve had to retighten every couple of rides, from new.

They amplify road noise??
    I'm on my second set and never experienced that.

As for the preload, again not had any issues. The factory bearings are generally sh!te and are only sealed on one side, but easy enough to replace when shot.

In the £200 price range I don't think the quattros can be beaten.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Campagnolo Zonda are a bit more, £330, but they’re very good.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Cero AR24's always seem like good value but I've got no first hand experience with them. I've got Prime Race Roads as winter wheels and they're pretty decent and reliable.

I'd be tempted to go second hand with that budget, you could probably grab some lightly used wheels such as Zonda's which would be a real upgrade from what you have right now.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    redvision wrote:
    Fulcrum quattro LG.
    Absolutely brilliant vfm.

If you want something that looks a bit deeper but is heavy for it yeah, it's a wheel which is marketing nod to aesthetics which it doesn't even pull off. It's certainly not significantly aero and the penalty for the (crap) looks at the price is the weight really.

OP you're better off saving a little more, then go for some Zondas maybe if you are after factory built. They are at that first level which make sense for an upgrade really.
  • redvision
    mfin wrote:
    If you want something that looks a bit deeper but is heavy for it yeah, it's a wheel which is marketing nod to aesthetics which it doesn't even pull off. It's certainly not significantly aero and the penalty for the (crap) looks at the price is the weight really.

OP you're better off saving a little more, then go for some Zondas maybe if you are after factory built. They are at that first level which make sense for an upgrade really.

Yeah but you would expect the zonda to be better as it's the next wheel up in the range (it's a fulcrum racing 3) and is also more expensive. Although I should add, I have both and don't notice the difference.

The OP gave his budget and you can pick the quattros up comfortably within that. The zondas, even with discount codes, are over 300.

For the money, the quattros are brilliant.
  • +1 for second hand Zondas...awesome wheels and something like 1550g too? Can’t go wrong
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    CERO AR24 EVOs. I have them and they are light ,fast especially with Pro Ones that I have fitted. I've had no problems with them and wrote a brief first review earlier this year which includes comparison on weights for stock wheels.
    Good value at £195 delivered when I bought them.
    I'm 78kg so I would think they would fly with your weight.
    Tony
  • WaterfallT
    WaterfallT Posts: 7
    Thanks all for the suggestions, there seems to be a lot more Fulcrum Racing 3s on eBay, are these basically like for like with the Zondas?

Edit: just found these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2994693364
  • +1 for CERO AR24s. 1462 grams for under £200.