Adjusting STI levers.

GraT
GraT Posts: 6
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Hi, I'm new to this forum so hoping someone may be able to help here. I have a tendency to push the lever a little to far when changing gear resulting in the chain jumping (Ultegra 10spd on my summer Bike and 105 10spd on the other one). Does anyone know if there is an adjuster screw that would allow me to select 1 gear only changes?
Cheers,
Gra.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited April 2018
    Yes.

It is unlikely you pushing the shifter too far as the shifts are indexed. It is the derailleur(s) that are incorrectly adjusted. Download the appropriate dealer manual from Shimano for each groupset which has definitive, comprehensive instructions for how to set the derailleurs up and to adjust them for correct shifting.

http://si.shimano.com/#/

PP
  • GraT
    Hi PP, Thanks for the reply however indexing isn't the problem. I'm sure it's my own fault I'm probably a little heavy handed when shifting, that's why I want to adjust for a single change only but looking at the spec sheets it would appear it's not possible. Thanks anyway.
    Cheers,
    Gra.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Ah, if you are just overshifting and getting a multishift, that is how they work! Perhaps a little re-training of the ‘fist’ to remove the ‘ham’ element might help? :D

PP
  • GraT
    Thanks PP, you’re probably right I just need to be more careful, ironically it’s not normally like me I’m actually quite a good mechanic. Oh well thanks again anyway.
    Cheers
    Gra.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    sounds like you're ham fisted to me. A little refinement is necessary.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    The ability to shift 2 at a time can be useful when you suddenly lose speed and then need to get a move on. As you have said, you just need a bit of finesse and to realise you are not pushing against a stop but just enough to get the shift you want.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere