Possible dropout defect

troek
troek Posts: 6
edited May 2018 in Workshop
After a long ride on my relatively new SuperSix Evo I noticed some rubbing on my drive side chain stay. Taking a closer look I found that I was not able to get the rear wheel centered. It either rubbed on the chain stay, or wasn't not centered between the seat stays. I swapped the wheel around and its still there so I don't think its a Dish issue. It looks like the dropout on the drive side has an irregular shape to it. I bought this bike on a military base in Japan, so the warranty process is going to be a bit complex. So my question is does this look like a defect to you guys and worth going through the warranty process? I posted pics of both sides for comparison
https://imgur.com/a/Gpjqp
Vm7kJbg.jpg
BOOFkhY.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Photobucket is farked. Try a different host.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • troek
    Ah sorry, showing up good on my end. I'll find another host.
  • Might be worth just swapping with a new dropout. I would suggest contancting CD first, they might send you a replacement. Otherwise they can be purchased here:
    https://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannon ... il/3-39641

BUT, having checked other forums it seems that quite a few Supersix EVOs have previously suffered from misaligned rears, particularly the 2014 and 2015 models.
  • troek
    That's the derailleur hanger. It might be hard to see in the picture but the derailleur hanger has a nice uniform u shape cut out. The carbon fiber drop out of the frame that it slides over has the irregularity. Instead of a nice smooth curve on both sides, the left side has a noticeable lump in it, which pushes the axle out of alignment. You are right though, a lot of the google searches about wheel rubbing on the chainstay were Cannondale bikes :/.
  • Are you sure you haven't lost a metal 'horseshoe' from the non-drive side drop out?

I had an S-works Roubaix that had carbon dropouts which had a metal horseshoe to protect the carbon from damage by the axle. It fitted in the recess on the inside of the frame. One day I was cleaning the bike and had the rear wheel off. When I put it back together the wheel struggled to go round and rubbed on the frame. I realised the horseshoe on the drive side had become detached and found it on the floor of the shed. It was only a millimetre thick but when it was missing the wheel rubbed.

I took it to my LBS who epoxyed it back into place and all was well for a while until it came off again. I stuck it back on again myself but took to carrying a washer in my saddle pack which I found fitted the recess perfectly. The wheel was fine when it was on. This was just in case I was miles from home and needed to remove the wheel and risked losing the horseshoe in long grass or similar.
  • troek
    No, Cannondale dosn't use something like that as far as I know, good idea though. I did come to the realization now though that the shape that I think the drop out is off would push the wheel away from the drive side chain stay anyway. It seems like its another of the many Cannondale carbon frames with faulty rear end. Talked to a Cannondale dealer and will bet taking it in tomorrow to go down the warranty path. I'll post an outcome in case anyone else has this issue and didn't find the other dozen posts across the net on the subject(ha ha).
  • gazza1286
    gazza1286 Posts: 45
    Have you removed the derailleur hanger from the drive side to see if the wheel then sits true. The pictures seem to indicate that the arc of the hanger doesn't have the same profile as the non-drive side.
  • troek
    Ended up being the rear triangle being "off". Cannondale hooked it up getting me a new frame and fork and all the bits required as my frame was a gen or two older. Seems the only 25.4mm seat posts on hand were the carbon SAVE posts, so that was a cool bonus.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    troek wrote:
    Ended up being the rear triangle being "off". Cannondale hooked it up getting me a new frame and fork and all the bits required as my frame was a gen or two older. Seems the only 25.4mm seat posts on hand were the carbon SAVE posts, so that was a cool bonus.
    Glad they’ve sorted it for you . Cannondale do seem a decent company