Rouvy

mrb123
mrb123 Posts: 4,623
Anyone using this App?

As far as I can tell it is a re-branding of Virtual Training which DC Rainmaker spoke well of in his most recent Trainer App guide.

It seems to have options for riding video routes and also following TrainerRoad style workouts.

A couple of things stood out for me as potential advantages: firstly it's available on Android for those of us who don't use IPhones/Pads. Secondly, the premium subscriptions allow for 2 other family members to use the app without them having to pay for separate subscriptions.

I'd be interested to hear any feedback from any current users.

Comments

• xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    I used the old cvt app and it was ok butCan't get rouvy to run without crashing in first 5 mins so gave up and moved to zwift instead. Was using pc rather than a tablet though
  • mrb123
    Just to update on this...

I tried the free 2 week trial and have now signed up for 12 months' premium membership which cost about 90 quid.

The app is pretty decent although I would expect it's not quite as slick as something like Zwift or Trainerroad.

The video routes are excellent, especially the premium ones which are included in the trial and premium subscription. Loads of classic climbs on there, especially from the Alps and Dolomites. From my experience of some of the climbs in real life the gradient simulation seems very accurate.

Some of the non premium routes are also very good quality. The non premium video routes can be downloaded so you don't need internet connection when riding them.

There are also quite a lot of structued workouts including a couple of Rouvy Guide routes which include video footage alongside the workout. I presume more of those will be added in due course. There is a mixed bag of other workouts including some Sufferfest ones (the videos aren't included but you may already have them) and some decent 30 minute Cycleops ones.

There is mention of training plans but I couldn't find that on the app. It may be more apparent on the desktop version.

If you haven't done an FTP test the app will give you a figure based on your best 20 min or 1 hour power from the video routes.

A big advantage for some people will be that a premium subscription allows other family members to use the app without having to pay separate subscriptions.

Overall, definitely recommended, especially if you're an Android user and therefore a bit more limited in choice of apps. If you just want structured training then something like Trainerroad will obviously better, but this would be ideal to use alongside that to give some variety with the video routes and different kinds of session.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The best thing about it for me, when I used it, was for recceing courses in advance. I’d create the route and it would use google earth elevation data and use street view in the main screen. Was REALLY helpful in a few time trials and triathlons.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Used it for the first time today. Functionally it's superb. I used mirrorplay on ATV, so the map, metrics etc sat on the iPad and the video was on the TV. Easy hookup with the Neo.

But, the video, a local route, was of poor quality and (I didn't download it) streaming was patchy. Or, rather, it seemed that the data stream and video were trying constantly to stay in sync. So there were freezes, then jumps to where I was etc. I'll try some premium routes next week to see what they're like and download some in advance. But I love the way it separates the map on the iPad and does the ride on the screen.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mrb123
    Used it for the first time today. Functionally it's superb. I used mirrorplay on ATV, so the map, metrics etc sat on the iPad and the video was on the TV. Easy hookup with the Neo.

But, the video, a local route, was of poor quality and (I didn't download it) streaming was patchy. Or, rather, it seemed that the data stream and video were trying constantly to stay in sync. So there were freezes, then jumps to where I was etc. I'll try some premium routes next week to see what they're like and download some in advance. But I love the way it separates the map on the iPad and does the ride on the screen.

Some of the videos aren't brilliant quality but I've found most to be very good.

The premium ones are all great but you can't download them (at least not on Android).

Most of the popular non-premium ones are still good though and it does pay to download them if your internet signal isn't brilliant wherever you have your turbo.

If you look for the ones created by VTApp (presumably Virtual Training, Rouvy's old name) they're all really good. All the Dolomite ones I've tried (Pordoi, Sella, Valparola, Sella Ronda etc) have been great. Also done Alpe D'Huez, Sa Calobra, Ventoux, Galibier.

You'll see that it requires you to compete certain routes and workouts to move up to the next level on your "career". I've found most of the suggested routes on there (which so far all seem to be in America) have been worth a try.

Planning to have a bash at the Stelvio this afternoon if I get chance. I see they've also got a 75 mile 2018 World Championships route on there now which might be good.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Used it for the first time today. Functionally it's superb. I used mirrorplay on ATV, so the map, metrics etc sat on the iPad and the video was on the TV. Easy hookup with the Neo.

Some of the videos aren't brilliant quality but I've found most to be very good.

The premium ones are all great but you can't download them (at least not on Android).

Most of the popular non-premium ones are still good though and it does pay to download them if your internet signal isn't brilliant wherever you have your turbo.

If you look for the ones created by VTApp (presumably Virtual Training, Rouvy's old name) they're all really good. All the Dolomite ones I've tried (Pordoi, Sella, Valparola, Sella Ronda etc) have been great. Also done Alpe D'Huez, Sa Calobra, Ventoux, Galibier.

You'll see that it requires you to compete certain routes and workouts to move up to the next level on your "career". I've found most of the suggested routes on there (which so far all seem to be in America) have been worth a try.

Planning to have a bash at the Stelvio this afternoon if I get chance. I see they've also got a 75 mile 2018 World Championships route on there now which might be good.

Thing is, my signal is insanely good. It's fibre with a wifi homeplug extender. May have just been that ride, so benefit of the doubt for now. I don't mind the quality per se, but the jumping, slowing and freezing was annoying. With Fulgaz the screen indicates where you are relative to the speed of the camera man, so 0.8x etc. There were times yesterday where, even though there's no indicator, I was up at 200% on the flat or 0.1% or lower after a hill. Odd. Maybe just a dodgy sync between the data and video on this ride.
  • mrb123
    Which route did you try? The worst one I've done on there yet was the Cat and Fiddle one so maybe best to avoid any UK ones!
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Which route did you try? The worst one I've done on there yet was the Cat and Fiddle one so maybe best to avoid any UK ones!

A local one, Sarn, Wildmill, Ogmore. As it's one of my own routes to do! So interested in riding it in real life.

Which was why I knew a lot didn't match as, regardless of the video, I know where the pain is :D
  • mrb123
    MrB123 wrote:

A local one, Sarn, Wildmill, Ogmore. As it's one of my own routes to do! So interested in riding it in real life.

Which was why I knew a lot didn't match as, regardless of the video, I know where the pain is :D

Maybe try something like Passo Sella next. Good quality, downloadable route. Amazing view of the mighty Sassolungo near the finish, should look great on a big screen.
  • MrB123 wrote:

Thanks for these kind words, we´re trying to do our best to bring you as accurate routes as possible focused on reality. :wink:

Ondrej, Rouvy Team
  • MrB123 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Maybe try something like Passo Sella next. Good quality, downloadable route. Amazing view of the mighty Sassolungo near the finish, should look great on a big screen.

Please try some of Premium routes or any certificated route (those ones with gold badge in upper right corner. We can ensure good qulity routes in those two categories ´cause the routes are edited by our colleagues.
  • Will do!
  • mrb123
    Tried the Stelvio Premium route yesterday.

Probably the toughest climb I've done on there yet. Just seems to go on forever (about 14 miles to the top) and loads of it is at pretty tough gradients of 9-10% or more.

The descent down the famous side is good fun - no need to brake for the hairpins on the turbo!

Definitely recommended.
  • I gave up using this on the Windows platform. It all started well enough but after a software update, my races/rides stopped being recorded and only the warm-up was recorded.

Total PITA if you are trying to participate in one of the Rouvy challenges.

After some communication with Rouvy support and trying some more rides (only to find no difference) I just gave up on it and haven’t bothered with it since.

The issue may well have been sorted out by now but this is just my experience.