Ultegra Chainset Upgrade Options

dhp2
dhp2 Posts: 20
edited January 2018 in Workshop
I screwed up the pedal thread on the non drive side crank on my Ultegra 6700 chainset today by riding it whilst the pedal was loose. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade it to a lighter compact chainset and want to hear your thoughts on what options there are available to me.

At the moment I'm running a full ultegra 6700 (10 speed, standard) system so my first thought was to keep it simple and go for a 6750 chainset but I can't find a second hand set on eBay and for £200 for a new chainset I must be able to be a bit more adventurous?

The only restrictions I understand I have is that it needs to be hollowtech2 with the same spindle length as Shimano(?).

At the moment I'm looking at Rotor and FSA products, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Try facebook market place ...i just picked up a 6700 ultegra for £60 posted.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A marginally lighter chainset is not going to be noticeable.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    If the chainrings are in good condition I would be tempted to just get it helicoiled.
  • Korhag
    Korhag Posts: 77
    You may find a decent LBS can do something with the crank for much less than buying a new chainset depending on the severity of the damage. If nothing else, a search on the bay brings back tons of semi-compact chainsets and what you could do is take the non-driveside crank off one of the semi-compact chainsets and put it on your current 6700 chainset, or just wait for a decent listing to appear. 6700 are commonly listed as people offload in favour of 11 speed but you should easily be able to find something.

I would hesitate 'upgrading' to a marginally lighter semi-compact 10 speed right now though. £200 would not get you any meaningful upgrade and you may as well spend it on a totally new groupset upgrade/bike in the future.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    £200 won't get you anything new that's an upgrade over Ultegra.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a L side only powermeter eg Stages or perhaps 4iii?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D