Power Meter Options for SPD?

tyw214
tyw214 Posts: 52
edited December 2017 in Road general
Are there power meter options for SPD?? it seems like everything is for like Look/SPD-SL....

I am a huge fan of SPD (mainly ease of use and walking!), and some of the more 'premium' SPD shoes are pretty stiff, i dont' see reason to change :x

Comments

• tyw214 wrote:
    Are there power meter options for SPD?? it seems like everything is for like Look/SPD-SL....

I am a huge fan of SPD (mainly ease of use and walking!), and some of the more 'premium' SPD shoes are pretty stiff, i dont' see reason to change :x

A crank or chainring based power meter would be the simplest option, won't matter what pedals you want to use.
  • tyw214
    tyw214 Posts: 52
    tyw214 wrote:

A crank or chainring based power meter would be the simplest option, won't matter what pedals you want to use.

got a question, does the stages power meter for Ultegra R6800 work on the newest R8000 series ultegra?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    tyw214 wrote:

No. Shimano haven't opened the patent and so spd power meter can't be made by anyone apart from them... at least for the time being.
    got a question, does the stages power meter for Ultegra R6800 work on the newest R8000 series ultegra?

Yes. It is compatible with any shimano hollowtech ii chainset.

Make sure you do your research though. Stages aren't the most reliable. If going for crank arm pm also consider 4iiii and pioneer.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Plenty of options. It's just that you can't use tge pedal based ones. Also you can get powertap wheels.