Do Pepsi / Coke bike reviews exist?

2»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Moving from 531c to titanium Litespeed Ultimate, to a Look 585, Focus Cayo and now a Neil Pryde with wide diameter carbon tubes is each bike has felt stiffer and while maybe not faster they have felt better descending at speed than the previous one. Now that may be that I've become more confident and competent or due to other factors with the set up but I suspect stiffness of the bike has something to do with it. Actually the Focus and the Neil Pryde both felt very stable descending but the Neil Pryde felt more alive and engaging but a more stable planted feel.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    That's my experience too. Stiffer frames feel more stable when descending. The more load your bike is carrying - whether panniers or a heavy rider - the more you benefit from a stiff frame. That is obvious to me from my experience of cycle touring with camping gear and tandem riding. I also like the way a stiff frame and wheels seem to convert your effort on the pedals directly into forward motion.

But I guess it's possible to have too stiff a frame for your power and weight. As a lighter rider, I don't suppose I would benefit from an ultra-stiff frame. It would probably be too harsh for comfort and good handling. That Jan Heine article touches on that. If you are getting a custom frame, it's no doubt best to trust your framebuilder as stated by Richard Sachs in the Bicycle Guide article.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    Mercia Man wrote:
    If you are getting a custom frame, it's no doubt best to trust your framebuilder as stated by Richard Sachs in the Bicycle Guide article.
    Quite. Why anyone would hire an expert in any given field and then tell them how to do their job is beyond me.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I think with bike mags (as well as many other consumer items) since they rely heavily on manufacturers loaning them the bits to review, there is a little bit of you scratch my back..... It must be very difficult to get hold of brand new unreleased bikes or components on the cheap and if the manufacturer "offers" to lend it for free in exchange for a favourable review nudge nudge wink wink then everyone is happy.

Ive often wondered this. When Ive read their tests, I found their choice of bikes quite surprising. To the point of suspicious. Often they did not include popular or obvious bikes for the test, but some make and model that nobodies ever heard of.

I once read that Vauxhall refused to lend the BBC any cars as they did not like Jeremy Clarksons reviews.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby