South Downs Way route

btiratsoo
btiratsoo Posts: 204
edited October 2017 in Road general
Hello all

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I thought I would try here first as a search in the routes/ tours/ audaxes etc hasn't turned up what I am looking for.

Has anyone got a route that follows the South Downs Way by road as such. I'm looking to ride through the lanes of the South Downs using the SDW as the general direction etc. I know I could ride along the A272 or the A27 but that just seems depressing. I'm happy to get plotting in google maps etc but thought I would ask here first.

Cheers

Ben

Comments

• There is a nice route along the north side of the downs, the bit that I'm familiar with starts at West Meon then, East Meon, Buriton, South Harting, Elsted, Treyford, Didling, Cocking (I'm not making this up!!), Heyshott, Graffham, Duncton, Bignor, Amberley. OS map, available on bing map search is your friend.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Not sure about the Sussex end from CR's route there but there's plenty of options to get to Winchester from East Meon, the best of which is probably East Meon out up onto Old Winchester Hill (Hayden Lane), up to Wheely Down (yes, really!) and then left down Sandy Lane and pick up the Morestead Valley Road. This delivers you to St Catherine's, the end of the SDW in Winchester and keeps you off of the A272. All are quietly trafficked roads with the exception of Morestead Valley Road but even that's not too bad. There's very few lanes that connect up between the A32 and M3 so you always end up doing a little stretch on either the A272, Morestead Valley Road or, if you drop lower down, the Bishops Waltham/Colden Common/Twyford/Winchester Road which, despite it's B road status, is much busier than the MVR.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • btiratsoo
    Cheers lads. I'm local to the Winchester day and have routes on the lanes to Queen Elizabeth Countey Park and everything mentioned so far are great roads!

How about in a West to East direction from QECP to say, Lancing.....

Clickrumble thanks for the Bing heads up. I'll give that route a hunt out as it sounds perfect.

Ben
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Big decision is do you want to run North or South of the Downs - or even traverse them a bit. There's a good option to go south from QECP to Chalton, out of the back of Chalton and across to Compton, along Long Lane to East Marden and then hook up with the Chilgrove road, there's a lane that then links that to the A road that passes the Weald and Downland Museum at Singleton. Take the East Dean Road and then a few back lanes to Coldwaltham and then Storrington.

If you wanted to stay slightly more "A" road or fast B roads then it's the route that CR mentioned. The Harting hill is always a good ride!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    There is a nice route along the north side of the downs, the bit that I'm familiar with starts at West Meon then, East Meon, Buriton, South Harting, Elsted, Treyford, Didling, Cocking (I'm not making this up!!), Heyshott, Graffham, Duncton, Bignor, Amberley. OS map, available on bing map search is your friend.

Once you get to Amberley, cross the SDW and then turn left to go through the village on School Road, then head to Rackham. You used to be able to ride the 4 km through Parham House, which was like a quiet Richmond Park, but they got really anti-cyclists a couple of years ago so you have to go towards Greatham and Cootham and then into Storrington. You can go on the main road B2139 from Storrington to Washington but it is narrow and busy, as is the 283 to Steyning. At Storrington go on Rock Road to Warninghurst then Ashington and Spithandle Lane, then through Steyning Bramber Edburton Fulking Poynings. There's a bike path over the A23 into Pyecombe, up and over Clayton Hill, hard right at the bottom onto Underhill Lane which takes you past Ditchling Beacon to Westmeston where the road grows a bit. Past Plumpton and into Lewes.
    Here you want Kingston Rd into Newhaven, then Seaford (divert through the town, the promenade bit is quite nice) then it is the busy A259 past Seven Sisters to East Dean. Right here, and up the fairly easy climb of Beachy Head road - this is WAY better as a descent - and drop down into Eastbourne.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    DaveP1 wrote:
    There is a nice route along the north side of the downs, the bit that I'm familiar with starts at West Meon then, East Meon, Buriton, South Harting, Elsted, Treyford, Didling, Cocking (I'm not making this up!!), Heyshott, Graffham, Duncton, Bignor, Amberley. OS map, available on bing map search is your friend.

Once you get to Amberley, cross the SDW and then turn left to go through the village on School Road, then head to Rackham. You used to be able to ride the 4 km through Parham House, which was like a quiet Richmond Park, but they got really anti-cyclists a couple of years ago so you have to go towards Greatham and Cootham and then into Storrington. You can go on the main road B2139 from Storrington to Washington but it is narrow and busy, as is the 283 to Steyning. At Storrington go on Rock Road to Warninghurst then Ashington and Spithandle Lane, then through Steyning Bramber Edburton Fulking Poynings. There's a bike path over the A23 into Pyecombe, up and over Clayton Hill, hard right at the bottom onto Underhill Lane which takes you past Ditchling Beacon to Westmeston where the road grows a bit. Past Plumpton and into Lewes.
    Here you want Kingston Rd into Newhaven, then Seaford (divert through the town, the promenade bit is quite nice) then it is the busy A259 past Seven Sisters to East Dean. Right here, and up the fairly easy climb of Beachy Head road - this is WAY better as a descent - and drop down into Eastbourne.
    Not a bad route, but not sure I facy the C7 into Newhaven. Drivers come down there like Psychos! Not sure which other routes I'd recommend though. Safest would be keeping north and heading Ringmer, Lughton, Ripe/Chalvington and through to Polegate
  • davep1
    Tashman wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Not a bad route, but not sure I facy the C7 into Newhaven. Drivers come down there like Psychos! Not sure which other routes I'd recommend though. Safest would be keeping north and heading Ringmer, Lughton, Ripe/Chalvington and through to Polegate

I don't know that road that well; I like the Ringmer/Glynde road, but then you have to back on yourself to get to Newhaven, and it is further away from the actual SDW.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

I don't know that road that well; I like the Ringmer/Glynde road, but then you have to back on yourself to get to Newhaven, and it is further away from the actual SDW.
    It's horrid. i used to drive it regularly and is a surprisingly fast road with a lot of winding blind bends.
  • btiratsoo
    Thanks very much for all the advice so far, very much appreciated. I should be able to fathom a route out from that and some canny google/ bing maps plotting. I suppose in an ideal world one would be able to follow the SDW on some nice quiet country lanes and then hop on and off the SDW as and when. Main A roads are a no as I'd rather take a longer more scenic route.

The route I'm looking to do is from QECP to Mason in Coombes (near Wiston/ Steyning).

Thanks again and please keep any suggestions coming. I suppose there is always the SDW itself....
  • davep1
    btiratsoo wrote:
    Thanks very much for all the advice so far, very much appreciated. I should be able to fathom a route out from that and some canny google/ bing maps plotting. I suppose in an ideal world one would be able to follow the SDW on some nice quiet country lanes and then hop on and off the SDW as and when. Main A roads are a no as I'd rather take a longer more scenic route.

The route I'm looking to do is from QECP to Mason in Coombes (near Wiston/ Steyning).

Thanks again and please keep any suggestions coming. I suppose there is always the SDW itself....

Is that Mason Cycles? They're actually past Coombes, nearer Lancing. But if you go to Steyning, then all the way down Maudlin Lane, Annington Road and Coombes Road (it's the same road) that comes out on the A27. You could ride along there, I have done it, but it isn't great. There is a cycle path or footway next to it, but I haven't been on it so it may be a mess. Alternatively, cross the 27, go through the airport (lovely old art deco building, nice cafe/restaurant) keep going to the beach then turn right and use that cycle path all the way to Brooklands park and then right in towards Sompting.

The SDW has a lot of climbing, and the winter weather will make it more and more muddy. I reckon an average of 8 mph on the SDW is good going, so it would take about 5 hours from QECP.

I've plotted it on Strava, bear in mind I don't know the area around QECP that well, there may be better options. You'll pass the bottom of Bignor Hill which I think it THE toughest climb in this area...

https://www.strava.com/routes/10861779
  • btiratsoo
    Dave, thank you very much for that. It is certainly something to start with and I might well give it a whirl this coming Monday. Very much appreciate your time to plot that.

Ben
  • davep1
    btiratsoo wrote:
    Dave, thank you very much for that. It is certainly something to start with and I might well give it a whirl this coming Monday. Very much appreciate your time to plot that.

Ben

No problems, let us know how you get on, both getting there and what you think of Mason. A mate has a Bokeh, loves it.
  • btiratsoo
    I have a Bokeh too but ordered it mail order and forgot to buy a seat post! I was going to use that as an excuse to ride there and pick one up. And see Dom and Alex.

On another a note, the Bokeh is brilliant and I love it. Perfect set up for my style of riding.
  • davep1
    btiratsoo wrote:
    I have a Bokeh too but ordered it mail order and forgot to buy a seat post! I was going to use that as an excuse to ride there and pick one up. And see Dom and Alex.

On another a note, the Bokeh is brilliant and I love it. Perfect set up for my style of riding.

If you aren't too bothered about sticking close to the SDW, after Graffham, don’t turn right towards Duncton, go left then right towards Coates. It's a lovely quiet road past a lake/reservoir. You can then go to Coldwaltham and on to Storrington (if the road over the bridge after Coldwaltham is open)