New tyres

Loudave65
Loudave65 Posts: 5
edited September 2017 in Commuting general
Hi, new to the forum and even newer to today’s modern bikes, just got back into cycling from when I was a kid, so 40 years on, I’ve bought a Scott Sub cross 40 , which I think is great, however on reading about tyres etc, the ones on the bike seem noisy and not very fast, they are impac smartpac, think they are budget tyres, I’d like something less nobbly if that sounds right , the size is 700x42, what size tyres and what make would be preferable ? Mainly road commuting with a little tow path thrown in . Thanks Dave

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Impac is Schwalbe's budget brand I believe and the Smartpac is the old Schwalbe Smart Sam, its not a hybrid tyre its an MTB/CX tyre with a near continuous centre tread designed to reduce the rolling resistance of an MTB tyre.

Something like a Schwalbe Marathon or other 'touring' type tyre sounds ideal for your use, and you can drop some width, to say a 35mm, at the same time.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700-x-35c-Sch ... SwA4dWNI6C

You could lose some puncture protection and tread depending on how good the towpath you ride is.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks , that’s the most info on the tyres I’ve gotten so far, I have looked at those but wasn’t sure on size, will I need new tubes as well ?