Foot pain with new shoes/pedals

neil h
neil h Posts: 499
edited September 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Evening all, I've just done my first proper ride since fitting SPDs (also a first time) to my bike and I've found that they make the outer edge of my feet ache. Now I'm fairly confident it's down to the fact I've got collapsed arches and the insole of the shoes (Lake MX) is forcing my feet into the "correct" position.

Question is can I do anything about it or is it something I'll have to live with until the shoes bed in?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Try them without the insole?
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Hi, Alternatively you can buy different insoles (footbeds) with built-in support for your foot. Specialized and Fizik amongst others make them. I have bought the Specialized ones in the past to cure a niggling knee issue due to my 'slightly' dropped arches. There are various makes and types available depending upon the amount/type of support required and you make find something with slightly less aggressive support than the soles you currently have.
    Re: the Specialized ones, some bike shops have a board you stand on which will measure the amount of support and therefore which of their footbeds you need (by measuring areas of heat from your feet - not an exact science but better than guessing). Footbeds/Insoles vary from about £10 upto £100 depending on quality. I went with Spesh as they were cheapish (in case they didn't work) and readily available.

Another potential cause is cleat set-up. Did someone set up your cleats for you? These can sometimes lead to foot pain if not positioned properly.

I also sometimes get pain in the outer edge of my foot after riding for a while if I have accidently ratcheted my shoes slightly tighter than normal. A bit of an obvious error but one I'm still occasionally making after many years :D
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Maybe the shoes are simply too small.
  • thebikerdude93
    thebikerdude93 Posts: 15
    edited March 2018
    Why not try some of these footreviver insoles they are great for sort of thing :D

http://footreviver.com/product-category/plantar-fasciitis/

hope this helps
  • This may sound stupid but I've had the exact same issue... I wear orthotics and got specialized footbeds to wear in my shoes... I had bad aches on the outsides of my feet and went through countless sessions of adjustments etc. at my LBS..

In the end I sorted it very easily... My shoes were just too tight... Not too small mind, just too tight... Hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs but before you do you shoes up, scrunch your toes up, and push up into the tongue, as hard as you can... This will result in you giving your foot enough room in your shoe for it to swell up, which it will do with your work rate...

Then do your shoes up just enough... I actually wear my shoes really loose now... Hope this helps...

I also still do my shoes up too tight from time to time...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Your natural stance is wider than your cleat alignment is allowing. Try moving your cleats further to the inside of the shoe.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/