Nukeproof Scout 290 Race or Whyte 629 or something else?

macs
macs Posts: 209
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting a 29er hard tail.

I like the Whyte 629 (https://www.whyte.bike/629) and the Nukeproof Scout 290 Race (http://nukeproof.com/products/scout-290-race-2017/).

Anyone got any views on either of them?

Or can someone recommend a similar bike for around the £1k mark?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've had two nukeproofs, a Scalp and a Mega TR.
    Both were wicked fun to ride, simple and effective but finishing quality could have been better. Absolutely solid though.
  • macs
    The Vitus Sentier 29 VR slx looks like a good deal on CRC too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Recon silver on a £1130 hardtail (the whyte) is pretty poor to be honest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • macs
    The Rookie wrote:
    A Recon silver on a £1130 hardtail (the whyte) is pretty poor to be honest.

Hmm, yeah that's a fair point.

Is the Manitou Minute comp (on the nukeproof) much better?
  • The Rookie
    Quite a lot better, yes. Lighter, better damping, generally considered the equivalent of a Reba which is two forks better in the Rockshox hierarchy than a Recon silver.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • macs
    The Rookie wrote:
    Quite a lot better, yes. Lighter, better damping, generally considered the equivalent of a Reba which is two forks better in the Rockshox hierarchy than a Recon silver.

Cool, thanks for that. I'm a little out of touch with forks these days.

So the minute comp would be a good deal on a £850 bike then? http://www.mtbmonster.com/nukeproof-scout-290-race-2017-hardtail-mtb/
  • The Rookie
    Yes that's pretty good value! Some money has been saved by using NX gearing rather than the 'better' (lighter) GX, but you could change that as it wore out and it won't negatively impact the ride significantly compared to the benefit of good forks. Brakes and wheels are pretty good spec as well, all round a tasty package for a trail hardtail you could also ride XC.
  • macs
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes that's pretty good value! Some money has been saved by using NX gearing rather than the 'better' (lighter) GX, but you could change that as it wore out and it won't negatively impact the ride significantly compared to the benefit of good forks. Brakes and wheels are pretty good spec as well, all round a tasty package for a trail hardtail you could also ride XC.

Agreed. I currently run 1x11 slx on my fs which I see as being near-as-damn-it the same as nx. It works fine for me and the better fork would be what draws me to it rather than the gearing as that can be replaced as and when needed for less money than a fork.