Converting to 1 x Crank

AllezAllezAllez
AllezAllezAllez Posts: 207
edited June 2017 in Cyclocross
My crank arm is threaded on my current Shimano CX50 46/36 on a 10 speed.

Can I just change the crank for a 110mm bolt Sram 1x or is it more complicated than that?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    You can. I'm going to assume it's standard Shimano Hollowtech 2. You can fit a GXP crank using this adaptor: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... -prod26899

Alternatively, you can buy a GXP bottom bracket. This is a bit more expensive, but might be worth it if your current one has a lot of miles on it. Obviously this answer changes a bit if you have a different BB standard.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    It also depends on your riding style and terrain. In theory you're "supposed" to use a clutched derailleur with 1x in order to reduce chain slap and minimise the risk of the chain coming off. I'm running a Sram CX1 crank, chainring and chain on an otherwise Shimano Di2 drivetrain (medium cage RD) with no problems on my cross bike, but I haven't tried racing it yet. I did about 4000km of London commuting on the same drivetrain (but on a rim-braked road bike, therefore shorter chainstays) with no problems at all.
  • Thanks for the replies.

I use the bike for racing, but looking at the cost, I might just buy a like for like replacement and save my cash for my new race bike. :D