Very basic MTB for Wife and Sister

taha7
taha7 Posts: 29
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I am considering buying a bike for my wife and sister as we want to do some forest trails and road biking. However with an extremely low budget, they've selected the following two from Argos (going with their buy now pay later scheme as coughing up £200+ on even one bike is not really feasible for us right now).

Muddyfox:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2337386

Cross:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6180254

I know they're not the greatest bikes on the planet but considering our budget at the moment, there's not many other options to look at.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Don't buy these buy something without suspension forks you'll get a better bike for the money.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    The Cross one is over 2kg lighter. That's got to be worth £10.

It obviously varies massively what's around at the time, but surely there's better (or at least the same but cheaper) second hand?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are both pretty horrible, but I don't believe you can get even a half decent new bike at that price.

2kg lighter than a bridge is still heavy. But of the two, the Cross is less horrible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • taha7 wrote:

Sounds like a fair swap :D
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • taha7
    taha7 wrote:

Sounds like a fair swap :D

That made me laugh!

Thanks guys, I'm still trying to find something decent second hand but otherwise might just go for the Cross.

Anything i should look out for in particular for cheap second hand bikes?
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I'm in the same position, Mrs wont spend much more than £100 (yes i've tried to explain why that's not a great idea.

What do we think of this?
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-300-ladies-mountain-bike-id_8284494.html

I'm thinking it's heavy for a rigid (steel frame I suppose).
    I have access to two used bikes I can get cheap, on old trk and im not sure the other, but the forks are seized, needs full service, new chain, cables etc. by the time i've bought bits to do it it up and spend a whole day fettling it, it seems a lot of effort.
  • taha7
    That looks pretty good mattyfez! although you are right, it does seem quite heavy.

What about hybrid bikes? are there any that can potentially be considered?

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm intrigued if this if for the wife and her sister (all thoughts of possible comments come to mind) or your wife and your sister!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    Grammar is important, people! ;-)
  • taha7
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'm intrigued if this if for the wife and her sister (all thoughts of possible comments come to mind) or your wife and your sister!
    mattyfez wrote:

Just to clarify, this is for my wife and my sister lol :lol:
  • mattyfez
    taha7 wrote:

What about hybrid bikes? are there any that can potentially be considered?

Thanks

A hybrid bike is the same thing as a rigid mountain bike in my book, it might have skinnier more tarmac oriented tyres but that's about it.

Same problem, the carrera subway is a reasonable looking hybrid, but it's a lot more than a hundred pounds.

The problem with a (new) £100 bike of any description is it will weigh a ton, and have crap parts on it. And it will be crap to ride and probably put the rider off cycling all together.

I'm half tempted to loan the Mrs the extra money to get a Laura trott hard tail (that I'll never get back) or a decent light weight rigid /hybrid.
  • taha7
    @oxoman

I've had a look at a couple of the local used bike shops and they're all way over our budget at the moment.

@mattyfez

that's a good point regarding the weight. need to have a really good think about it as i don't want them to be put off cycling.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    taha7 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    mattyfez wrote:

Just to clarify, this is for my wife and my sister lol :lol:
    If you were some parts of the US that could well be just one bike you'd need then ;-)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    At least if you buy that one from Decathlon you're buying a bike from a shop that has its business in selling and servicing bikes so if anything goes wrong you'll benefit from the 6 week service and somewhere to take it back to if something goes awry in the first 12 months or so.

Not entirely convinced Argos would be as good an option!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Your wife is your sister ? Is that allowed ?
  • taha7
    @larkim

Yup that's true. Still searching at the moment for used ones and hoping something nice and within budget pops up!

@Fenix

apologies, I should have made it clear. Let me rephrase the title:
    Very basic MTB for my wife and my sister who are two separate individuals :D
  • taha7
    @oxoman

That's helpful, thank you!