Updating Marin Rocky Ridge 2009

sliviz2017
sliviz2017 Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I own a Marin Rocky Ridge 2009 and I want to convert it to a 1x10 wide range or 1x11 setup.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the 1x11 setup would be a similar price to 1x10 or would it involve buying a new hub etc to fit the 1x11 cassette on?

I have a shimano xt deore mech on the back. Would I need to buy a new mech with a clutch or would this work ok as I watched the MBR tutorial on how to do the conversion and he used a clutch mech but some forums say you can use your existing.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need a clutch mech, its purely a nice to have. Just use a narrow wide chainring, I do and never dropped a chain.

11 speed cassette will fit your 10 speed hub.

1x11 will cost you a loot more, circa £200 as EVERYTHING apart from the cranks needs changing.

For 1x10 you would still probably change nearly everything but the parts are cheaper and decent parts can be found used, you can also use a 8 or 9 speed rear derailleur if you use a Tiagra or Ultegra flat bar shifter (10 speed) which is what I have done to avoid downgrading from my current XTR rear mech (or paying a small fortune for a new one).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the info. I had a look around and it looks like switching to 1x10 is going to cost me about £95 including a 32t front ring, chain and sunrace 10 mx3 cassette not including a shifter or mech

So not far off the 1x11 really so probably worth just getting that !

I don't get your last point about using a 9 speed cassette with a 10 speed shifter, wouldn't that defeat the whole point as its not a wide range10 speed. Just a 9 speed with no front gears?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I never mentioned using a 9 speed cassette as clearly that only has 9 gears. Though you can go 1x9 with a wide range cassette.

I said you can use an 8 or 9 speed derailleur with a road ten speed shifter, the shifter pulls the right amount of cable to move the derailleur to match to a 10 speed cassette. All the mech does is respond to the amount of cable pulled.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.