In Praise of the Guided Bus Way

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The only time I've been on that route was when it was still a railway line!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think St Ives misses a trick with the bus way. I rode out there today on the Paddy Wagon (I really like that bike) and the path dumps you unceremoniously at the P&R outside St Ives. From there, there's very little by way of bike infrastructure. I was going to look for a cafe but, frankly, couldn't be ar$ed figuring out where to go so just turned around and rode back to Cambridge. With so much money spent on that track, you'd have thought the town council would try to guide the recreational bike and foot traffic into the town.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I think St Ives misses a trick with the bus way. I rode out there today on the Paddy Wagon (I really like that bike) and the path dumps you unceremoniously at the P&R outside St Ives. From there, there's very little by way of bike infrastructure. I was going to look for a cafe but, frankly, couldn't be ar$ed figuring out where to go so just turned around and rode back to Cambridge. With so much money spent on that track, you'd have thought the town council would try to guide the recreational bike and foot traffic into the town.

A few lovely cafe's in St. Ives near the P&R, next time send me a PM and I will give you some recommendations. Otherwise check: http://www.cafenetwork.info/
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • meanredspider
    gabriel959 wrote:

A few lovely cafe's in St. Ives near the P&R, next time send me a PM and I will give you some recommendations. Otherwise check: http://www.cafenetwork.info/

Thanks, I will do. Hoping to get the opportunity to do a few more kms in the bike as my daughter improves. I'm not sure I've made it into 3-figures total yet this year.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,417
    Thanks, I will do. Hoping to get the opportunity to do a few more kms in the bike as my daughter improves. I'm not sure I've made it into 3-figures total yet this year.
    I've been meaning to ask how she's doing, hope all is well. Lets hope you manage to get out and do more miles for all the right reasons.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've been meaning to ask how she's doing, hope all is well. Lets hope you manage to get out and do more miles for all the right reasons.

She's doing OK, thanks, V68. Waiting on bone marrow results that will basically tell us if she's getting a bone marrow transplant later in the year. Fingers crossed she won't need that but we should know a week on Tuesday. Most of the time she needs 24 hour supervision and, because youngest is in Scotland, we're split across locations. Time when Mrs MRS is able to get down to Cambridge, I need to be working (incl travelling to south east Asia) so bike time has been a luxury. I might see if I bring the Neo up to Cambridge to at least have some turbo time (though is there anything more miserable than turbo on a nice day?)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    i've never heard of such a thing but now i have I'm thinking all the disused WWII train lines down here would be perfect, linking Marlborough with Swindon and still very level unlike the rest of the hilly gridlocked roads. I wonder if such a thing but for lorries would be even better?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,889
    itboffin wrote:
    i've never heard of such a thing but now i have I'm thinking all the disused WWII train lines down here would be perfect, linking Marlborough with Swindon and still very level unlike the rest of the hilly gridlocked roads. I wonder if such a thing but for lorries would be even better?
    You mean a goods line? That's pretty much what railways were invented for.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    yes but there are loads of unused old lines that could take heavy traffic off the roads bypassing small towns and reducing congestion and pollution which is a massive problem in places like Marlborough due to its location between the M3 & M4 and hilly terrain, so not a rail replacement but a few miles of driverless controlled bypass would work wonders
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,889
    itboffin wrote:
    yes but there are loads of unused old lines that could take heavy traffic off the roads bypassing small towns and reducing congestion and pollution which is a massive problem in places like Marlborough due to its location between the M3 & M4 and hilly terrain, so not a rail replacement but a few miles of driverless controlled bypass would work wonders
    Well from Google maps, the route for a Marlborough bypass is definitely there and the roundabout by Tesco is right where the old railway used to cross the A346. If you follow it up it skirts the east of the town and ends up running parallel to the A346 further north. Appears to be some sort of railway path already.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • meanredspider
    There's something to be said for ITBs idea. The problem with rail freight in the U.K. is that you can't get truck trailers or, I believe, standard sea containers onto trains because the bridge gauge is too small in the UK. That makes using rail for freight very expensive and also it's that "last mile" distribution that rail does so badly. This is what the guided busway does well. Gets buses off congested roads but gives them that ability to do the pick-ups and drop off loops around the route.
  • itboffin
    rjsterry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Well from Google maps, the route for a Marlborough bypass is definitely there and the roundabout by Tesco is right where the old railway used to cross the A346. If you follow it up it skirts the east of the town and ends up running parallel to the A346 further north. Appears to be some sort of railway path already.

3 had three complete freight lines and stations crossing the area as the nearby Savernake forest was the largest munitions dump in Europe at the time, and yes the lines are still there you can walk or cycle them