Mild weather waterproof jacket / jersey

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Now there seems to be a multitude of waterproof winter jackets on offer that will you keep you warm and dry through the UK's coldest months. I own one - a Bioracer Spitfire - which by all accounts is quite superb. However I generally run warm when cycling and in all honesty if the temperature is above 5-6c I'm very reluctant to wear my Bioracer and I never wear it with anything other than a thin Merino baselayer such is how warm I run.

This means I am already in need of something lighter but still more or less fully waterproof. I don't want any of this packable rubbish, I haven't got time on club runs to be taking clothing on and off - I just want something light I can put on at the start of the ride that will not make me sweat but will keep the rain off me.

The obvious choice is a Castelli Gabba, but I'm not the type of person who wants look like 50% of other cyclists on the road and generally I think Castelli gear is very over hyped. I have seen the Sportful Fiandre Light No-Rain Long Sleeve Top which seems about right for what I need, though I ordered a Sportful winter jacket before my Bioracer but the sizing wasn't good so it's put me off somewhat. Bioracer don't do anything light and waterproof which is a shame. The other option is the Stolen Goat Orkaan LS Jersey. I've got lots of Stolen Goat stuff and the quality and fit is great (they are made by Bioracer) although their Orkaan jerseys aren't the most attractive in my opinion. I think I'm leaning towards this though.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd prefer a racier fit over relaxed.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Gilet?
  • dstev55
    cougie wrote:
    Gilet?

Never really been into the Gilet thing. I've never been into layers either as I'd prefer just one garment that does it all which I feel is quite possible considering I generally run warm. With a Gilet I'd need a jersey underneath and potentially arm warmers. A possibility for cold summer mornings I suppose but not really my target on this occasion.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thing is if you have a full water proof and its mild you will sweat quite a lot. A long sleeve jersey and a gilet to keep your core dry is just what you need. Gilets are great pieces of kit.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    La Passione Rule 9 jersey or Pactimo Storm Hybrid could be worth a look.
  • dstev55
    MrB123 wrote:

LOVE that Pactimo. Definitely on my shortlist. Can't quite figure out whether the arm warmers come part of the package or not though???
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    cougie wrote:
    Thing is if you have a full water proof and its mild you will sweat quite a lot. A long sleeve jersey and a gilet to keep your core dry is just what you need. Gilets are great pieces of kit.
    I think that one of the best features about gilets and the like is just how easy they are to take off/store during a ride. We seem to be blessed with a climate where we can have a lot of weather even on a 1 hour ride and the ability to regulate temp as you go along can be really useful. I manage by using a very cheap (well, it was FOC actually) Altura shower jacket that keeps the worst off when it is really wet and then stows easily to avoid overheating whilst letting the damp layers to dry out.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    dstev55 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

LOVE that Pactimo. Definitely on my shortlist. Can't quite figure out whether the arm warmers come part of the package or not though???

Looks like you may have to buy them separately. Pactimo are usually pretty good if you contact them with a query.

Just make sure you don't pay full price. There are almost always discount codes around to be had.