Shimano BOA routing

Dan Walton
Dan Walton Posts: 147
edited February 2017 in Road general
I've just taken delivery of some Shimano RC7's, very pleased to have finally found a pair of shoes that fit!

Anyway, they have a BOA dial and in the box was a bit paper showing that you can route the cable two different ways, or at least I think it's saying it's an optional thing...

What's the point of having the extra loop exactly!?

16B97B4E-5E16-45E5-9416-DBA9494DB85B.jpg

D7049E7C-E483-4493-B6F0-CB15623CC5C6.jpg

D1B52A69-F4C8-4D55-BD4B-4A6CED619161.jpg

Having the extra loop just looks a bit untidy to me and I can see it coming out whenever I take the shoes off and generally being a faff.

Anyone know what the benefit would be?

Comments

• rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    I have the same shoes and love them. I didn't even realise you could re-route the boa on them though! :oops: :lol:
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • Dan Walton wrote:

It will apply a different tension to the lower part of the lace. You may prefer that different tension, or you may not. Of course you might prefer the alternative tensioning arrangement but are so shallow that the aesthetic wins out over the comfort...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ooooh - those are nice. What's the fitting like - I have narrow feet but like the look of them.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rieko wrote:
    I have the same shoes and love them. I didn't even realise you could re-route the boa on them though! :oops: :lol:

I had two slips of paper in the box with mine, one explains that about the BOA's cabling and another saying something about the inserts around the cleat fixings. I'll guess I'll figure out what that's all about when I try to copy my cleat position over later!
    Dan Walton wrote:

It will apply a different tension to the lower part of the lace. You may prefer that different tension, or you may not. Of course you might prefer the alternative tensioning arrangement but are so shallow that the aesthetic wins out over the comfort...

I think I might just be that shallow...
    Ooooh - those are nice. What's the fitting like - I have narrow feet but like the look of them.

Yes, I really like the look of them. Wanted something new with a BOA fixing for a while and these seem to have snuck into the shops without much fanfare, everyone seems to write about the S-Phyre's and not much else. I've bought them in a wide fitting, so probably not much use to you. But they come up ever so slightly bigger than my old Shimano R088's in the same size )45 wide even though I'm a UK9 all day long...).

I've tried loads of shoes now trying to find some that fit nicely. Old ones were ever so snug so I tried Bont, Pearl Izumi, sized up to a 46 in some Shimano R171's but they were too big. Thought I'd got lucky when I found these in half sizes on Athleteshop.co.uk and ordered some 45.5 wides for a good price... yeah, they were too big and cost almost £20 to post back to the Netherlands. Got these from Evans in the end and like I say, they seem to come up a tiny bit bigger than my old Shimano's.
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Very tempted to get a pair. I assume the pattern is just a transfer print or similar? I wonder how durable it is?
  • chaymck wrote:
    Very tempted to get a pair. I assume the pattern is just a transfer print or similar? I wonder how durable it is?

Yes, you can feel that it's just printed, time will tell how well they last!
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    I have these in the wide version and they have to be the comfiest shoes ive owned. I prefer the extra loop as it provides more even tension across the top of the foot. Without the loop i found they pinched a little at the top and if i had them looser they felt a little sloppy.

The printed pattern does seem to smudge quite easily. For a £150 shoe i find them really stiff too.